• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What have you done so far in 2017?

You set some goals, great!

What are you doing to achieve them?

Some 39 hours into the new year, I have:

• Contributed $5k each to the boys' 529 accounts

• Made traditional IRA contributions as step 1 of the backdoor Roth for my wife and me (to be executed tomorrow).

• Made taxable account investment for the month (also executed at end of tomorrow's first trading day of the year).

• Run on the treadmill, and fired up the cross country skis.

At this pace, I should run out steam my mid-January  :?

Cheers!

-PoF

1. Read 30 cases (including 3 Abdomen MRIs) and performed three IR procedures today (income generation with a light quasi-holiday schedule at the hospital). Got caught up on my peer review work for the last quarter of 2016.

2. Instructed a transfer of $6500 to my traditional IRA, as the first step of completing the Backdoor Roth IRA.

3. Instructed the transfer of $3500 total to the kids' 529s.

4. Instructed the purchase of $3000 in mutual funds in my Vanguard account.

5. Withdrew money from my HSA account to my bank, to reimburse qualified medical expenses for the second half of 2016.

6. Attended the wedding of my partner and good friend on New Year's Eve, with the official ceremony taking place at 12:05 on 1/1/17.

7. Recovered from #6.

8. Ran with my regular running group this morning before work, outside, in the rain (barb aimed to PoF for running indoors on the treadmill ).

Happy New Year to everyone!

Comment

You set some goals, great!

What are you doing to achieve them?

Some 39 hours into the new year, I have:

• Contributed $5k each to the boys’ 529 accounts

• Made traditional IRA contributions as step 1 of the backdoor Roth for my wife and me (to be executed tomorrow).

• Made taxable account investment for the month (also executed at end of tomorrow’s first trading day of the year).

• Run on the treadmill, and fired up the cross country skis.

At this pace, I should run out steam my mid-January  ?

Cheers!

-PoF

Great minds think alike

- Contributed $12K to 529

- Traditional IRA contributions made for spouse and myself

- I uncharacteristically took 2 weeks off during the end of December despite having no vacation plans. Nice to have some time just to relax, spend time with family, and catch up on some reading (finished 3 books from WCI's recommended list already!). Unfortunately, that also means taxable account investments will have to wait a bit since this month's paycheck is a little light

- Just got off the treadmill while watching Bloomberg's Year In Review of the European markets. Smiled a little when the guy to my right "solidified his financial plan for the new year" after watching 30 minutes of the show

Back to the grind tomorrow

Comment

Spent the weekend at the beach with the fam.

Trying to finish two books this weekend.

Tidying up all financials for taxes, ugh.

Comment

Worked two shifts, wrote a blog post, went backcountry skiing, maxed out IRAs, maxed out HSA, made planned 529 contributions, and shoveled the driveway.
          Helping those who wear the white coat get a fair shake on Wall Street since 2011

Comment

-Funded TIRA today for Roth IRA conversion.

-Rounded on 6 patients today in the hospital, someone has to be on-call

Comment

I sent my wife out to "shovel the driveway."

-PoF

Comment

Deposited all checks received since ~Thanksgiving, so will be taxed as 2017 not 2016 income.
                My Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFF...MwBiAAKd5N8qPg

Comment

1: slept in, then had to go to church, then watched some NFL
                  2: slept in, watched college football all day

Comment

Unfortunately I spent a big chunk of New Year's Day talking on the phone to the fraud department of one of my banks, after discovering that someone has been funding their Netflix subscription at my expense for the past four months.  How they managed it I have no idea, as the debit card to that account has literally never been used by me anywhere.

Still, the sums taken were trivial in the larger scope of things, and I'll probably get all the money back in time.  I was lucky.  You better believe I'll be checking all my account statements much more carefully in the future!

Comment

Initiated IRA contribution for wife and myself for ROTH conversion.

Initiated 529 contribution for kids.

Initiated ROTH contribution for kids.

Watched movies with family and football.

Restarted Triathlon training.

Comment

Looks like there's a common theme to fund the 529s early. Any more planned contributions or is that it for the year? If so, wouldn't you be better off dollar cost averaging throughout the year?

Comment

1. Got accounts in order to payoff the the last remaining portion of school loans at the end of this month, which will be right on the goal target of having every loan paid off 18 months into practice.

2. Started making plans for that extra money every month going forward that will no longer be going to loan payoff while we still live like residents for as long as possible.

3. Watched a lot of movies and football with family.

Comment

I dollar cost average a set amount each month to the 529 that ends up being half the max yearly contribution, then add the other half either at the beginning or end of the year depending on the current state of our financials. I considerate it the best of both worlds (at least in my mind)

Comment

I worked 2 16 hour shifts.  But, I'm going to Hawaii in a few weeks, so I shouldn't complain!

Comment

Working...
                              X