No announcement yet.

Is Dental School worth 450K debt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Othopedic surgery. 140K base plus call pay (call pay is 1300/weekend, 240/night weeknight). Higher COL area.

Comment

Lots of specialty PAs make in the mid 100s. I know a derm PA who gets around 200k.

I hated med school while I was in it, especially second year. It was so much work, and yet so boring in the classroom. I just knew there was something better on the horizon which kept me going through it.

Comment

I am not on the “what you love train”. While this seems plausible superficially, in all reality it probably doesnt actually have the effects or the size of them people wish or project onto their careers. Also, its an incredibly narrow and privileged point of view to take. How many people “love or have a passion” for what they do, the great great majority of things are mundane or intellectually vapid. Sure, some things are interesting but we really do underestimate peoples ability to adapt and change their reasoning and justification after the fact, which is the major reality. How many people didnt get their first choice or not in med school at all and are very happy and coincidentally against all odds love their job? A good number.

Guarantee that a steady, secure high pay counts very very high in why people choose to become doctors. I went into it partly for that but mostly because I felt I wouldnt be bored by it…however, its mostly boring (thank god) because I know what Im doing and you dont get to live a life like House or a TV doc just solving interesting cases one at a time, youre part of the machine and are working.

Whats the proportion of doctors that are unhappy, or commit suicide even? Its way too high, and it isnt because they lacked passion because most did or at least would have attested to that fact. Now that Im older I see I would have enjoyed several different fields of medicine and several different careers altogether, lots of interesting stuff out there, dont underestimate the adaptability of people. Sentiment and passion follows the path of life or else we’d all be terribly disappointed most of the time.
        Click to expand…

I would have to disagree. I fully admit I chose my specialty because I perceived it to be lifestyle friendly and high paying at the same time. But I do love it (down to the mundane parts). And even on bad days, I like it. And at the very very least, I entered it with full enthusiasm (with the expectation that this will wane over time)

The OP seems to be lacking in all areas:

1. Doesn’t have an interest in the field from the beginning.

2. Would be taking on a high debt burden for this lack of interest.

3. Would be selecting a field that has a low income cap if employed.

4. Doesn’t want to take on the risk / hassles of being an owner (or dare I say it, even a successful hard-working motivated dentist)

5. Just has a general aura of “I don’t want to work for it”, “I don’t want to take risks”, but “I want high pay and high security”. Even with the last question, “How do I find something I love and still make a good income?”. You seriously want an anonymous internet forum to decide this for you? Whatever happened to some introspection and then putting in the hard work to realize it? I wouldn’t like having this conversation with an 18 year old let alone someone who appears to be in her late 20s / early 30s?

(Apologies if this comes off as harsh. I’ve been working with a lot of med students and residents of late who reek of the same entitled aura. Maybe I’m projecting.)
        Click to expand…

I dont take it as harsh, my comment was not at/to the OP directly, I dont pretend to know how that will go and agree with your general impressions. I was super gung ho about what I do as well, and generally like it, but I like all kinds of stuff. I was mainly saying we greatly misinterpret what comes first in the passion department. Its very easy for our brains to justify and make us believe we’re in love with something after we really dont have a choice, its pretty amazing. Choose something, and let confirmation bias do the rest.

I also ended up changing what I thought I was going to do based on pay expectations, lifestyle and future likelihood of decreased ability to control the pay (though the market controls the pay instead of insurance) I receive, as well as the more morbid option to practice without the surgery side if injured. So far so good and havent had to worry about the last issue yet.

The entitled seeming attitude and not wanting to work view of those behind me is one of the few things that has given me hope for an edge on competition in the future, nice if they just cant be bothered to work.

Now that I re-read my post, it's confusing. The "harsh" tone was directed at the OP, not you

But hey, wakeup calls are meant to be harsh!

Comment

Lots of specialty PAs make in the mid 100s. I know a derm PA who gets around 200k.

I hated med school while I was in it, especially second year. It was so much work, and yet so boring in the classroom. I just knew there was something better on the horizon which kept me going through it.

Oh wow, I didn't realize they made so much....

Comment

Guys I'm beginning to suspect something...

Comment

Also a lot of new Dental Schools are opening or have already opened up recently

http://www.dentistryiq.com/articles/apex360/2016/04/first-new-dental-school-in-new-york-state-in-nearly-50-years-to-open-fall-2016.html

Comment

I'm also thinking of staying at my current job for a few more years and then applying to MBA programs. I attended a top undergrad and had a strong undergrad GPA. I took a practice exam for the GMAT and did decently---I think if I studied hard, I could do well. I am aiming to get into top 10-15 MBA programs.....With a MBA, you have so many career options...The problem with Dentistry or PA, is you are locked into the career for life....MBA programs are also much cheaper than Dental School

Comment

http://www.dmdtoday.com/news/over-saturation-of-dentists-hygienists-a-mountain-problem-in-many-markets

Comment

Working...
                  X