Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What would you do with your Financial Independence?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would you do with your Financial Independence?

Today's post on WCI lists 10 Reasons to Go For Early Financial Independence. While I disagree with the assertion that job hatred is the main reason people go for it, I thought it was an excellent list.

I think it's more about the other things you could be doing rather than working full-time. To that end, I recently published 50 Ways I'd Like to Spend my Time in Early Retirement. What would you do with your increased time if you were partially or fully retired early?

Nothing.  I would do absolutely nothing.

Comment

This topic dovetails nicely with another recent article by Dr. Wise Money.  She is truly Wise beyond her years!

http://www.hcplive.com/physicians-money-digest/contributor/dr-wise-money/2016/10/5-ways-to-stay-in-clinical-medicine--be-happy

Comment

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/180-day-world-cruises/miami-to-miami-INS170106G/

Comment

Nothing.  I would do absolutely nothing.

You don't need a million dollars to do nothing.

Comment

On the cusp of FI, I am looking for opportunities that blend my professional experience with my love for travel, hoping to transition from being an MD who likes to travel, then a traveling MD, and ultimately a Vagabond (who was once an MD).

Of course, along the way, I have to kick two money-sucking teens from the nest and ditch the house. It's a multi-year project.

Comment

I just finished reading the latest Jonathan Clements book recommended by WCI, and one thing he espouses early on that I think is true is: No matter how much I think I would be happy loafing around reading books and listening to records every day, I don't think its realistic to do nothing.  #8 from today's post really resonates with me - there are just a lot of other things I'd like to do or try during my limited time here.  I haven't exactly figured out which one I'll go for, but I've got a running list of possibilities in my head and I'll just have to see which ones seem most realistic or still desirable as I get closer to FI.

Comment

I read the WCI blog before work this morning, and it resonated a couple hours later when my lead IR nurse came to tell me about more useless paperwork that admin wants done for our procedures. Briefly, in addition to the dictated report that we do (and correct ourselves) for our procedures, they would like us to also hand write a procedure note, as a back up, in case the computer goes down.

I resisted the urge to say screw that, but instead thought about the fact that I can say F U and walk out of here whenever I want. It is quite liberating!

As an alternative, I suggested that the medical records people print out a copy of my dictated report when it is finalized and then they can shove it up their, oops, I mean, then they can do whatever they want with it. ?

Comment

I read the WCI blog before work this morning, and it resonated a couple hours later when my lead IR nurse came to tell me about more useless paperwork that admin wants done for our procedures. Briefly, in addition to the dictated report that we do (and correct ourselves) for our procedures, they would like us to also hand write a procedure note, as a back up, in case the computer goes down.

I resisted the urge to say screw that, but instead thought about the fact that I can say F U and walk out of here whenever I want. It is quite liberating!

As an alternative, I suggested that the medical records people print out a copy of my dictated report when it is finalized and then they can shove it up their, oops, I mean, then they can do whatever they want with it.

You didn't put the new cover sheet on your TPS reports?

Comment

See, this is how I know I need to work part time, and I'm not ready for retirement. Granted, I'm only 34. But I honestly get bored with too much time on my hands. I've got a baby on the way and one in grade school, and I could be a SAHM, but I don't want to be, not full time. I like working part time doing a job that I think is important, that allows me to interact with wonderful people, that gives me a reason to get dressed in the mornings. The things I want to spend my time doing, I do. I already have the life I want. I suppose traveling more would be great, but I like the traditional school system and would not be comfortable pulling the kids out to roam around the world. Not that I think that could not be valuable, just wouldn't be my thing. So . . . I don't know. I guess I'm just too complacent in my current happiness, to want any change. I guess it's not a bad problem, in the grand scheme of things.

Comment

See every Major League Baseball stadium. Go to college football or NFL games every fall weekend. See a new country every few months. Do more mission work in foreign countries. Visit family and friends all over the country more regularly. That's just off the top of my head.

Comment

This is the conundrum of course. Most do not want to only sit at home and be retired because nothing is happening in their life allowing a level of frugality that makes it possible.

I want to do all kinds of things, which means I need lots of money in the bank, which means I need to work and save.

Comment

Let's see.... If I were FI....I would work full time but only at a place I love and for the hours I want.  I would only see the patients I want to see.  I would sleep well every night.  I would spend evenings, weekends, holidays and vacations with my family.  I would exercise regularly and meditate in the morning.  I would volunteer, donate to charity and teach students and residents.  If I were FI I might even blog in my spare time to help others achieve FI.  Come to think of it, I'm already FI and I wouldn't change a thing!

Comment

I'd probably still work but only half time. Golf, travel, and drink wine the other weeks.

Comment

Working...
                            X