Please eval and critique these presentations I made

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please eval and critique these presentations I made

I've been asked to give some short presentations about money to our housestaff council meetings.  I've attached them to this post.

I haven't presented these to anyone yet, and I'd like to get the opinions of some experts and people more experienced than me.  I don't intend to try to pass this off as "expert" or to give people specific advice and simply wanted it to be informational.  These are for students, interns, and residents who are in general pretty clueless about these topics.  Some of the themes are pretty familiar to readers of this site...

Please let me know how they can be improved.  I'm not super-attached to any part in particular, and I won't be insulted by anything you have to say that can help.

I also have a military physician pay presentation and am working on a "general principles of thrift" one that I will post for critique when it's through...

Thanks for helping me and others.

I think your presentations look great.  They should be very useful to your audience.

Comment

Lots of good information there. Only critique would be length, density, and all text. Always a terribly difficult thing to do but with so many slides that are info heavy its easy to lose the message for the audience. I would try to simplify even further and add a few graphs or pics demonstrating key points to keep audience engaged, simpler to follow and see the better. Almost no other field lends itselfs to graphs so well as finance.

Remember this is an overwhelming and likely mostly new topic for them, they wont recall most of it. Hammer your most important take aways over and over, and you could put these details in the notes as well.

Comment

I concur with Zaphod. You have a lot of good information but, unless this is an all-day class, your audience is going to experience information overload and mentally shut down. Several topics would be good standalone presentations, such as basics on TSP accounts, Roth IRAs, backdoor Roths. asset allocation, 529 plans, HSAs, and behavioral economics. Maybe a "Good Financial Cents" series?
        Working to protect good doctors from bad advisors. Fox & Co CPAs, Fox & Co Wealth Mgmt. 270-247-6087

Comment

I like Zaphods idea of using some graphs.

Comment

Thanks for sharing.  Pretty extensive information.  When I talk to residents and students I always emphasized the WHY as well as the WHAT and the HOW.  Many are not saving or investing at all or not enough.  Why should they change?  Maybe a slide on the threat of not having enough or on the opportunity and financial freedom that could be created with the benefits of compound growth.  Most people are not interested in investing, retirement or finance.  A clear WHY or burning platform is needed to keep them interested.

Comment

Dude. these are fantastic. well done. agree, they are a little dense. would try to give more of a 1,000-ft view (graphs would help as suggested). could have a "supplemental slides" section at the end for reference with the details. you clearly put a lot of work into these, bravo

Comment

Those are really good points; I think I'll split them into a beginner version and a "beyond the basics" version.

I appreciate you all for your input.  Thank you very much.

Comment

Excellent presentation full of good information.

One possible suggestion: showing a graph of how much a young doctor can save if they live "like a resident" the first five years of attending life. (WCI frequently mentions this advice.) And include in the graph how much the savings will typically compound to after 20 years of index fund investing. As a 1st year medical student we were shown such a graph during a seminar from a physician owned financial group. The graph showed we would have a large head start for retirement due to 20 years compounding. That graph stuck in my mind like a banner on a mountain.

Comment

Working...
                  X