This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HOA

My HOA kept harassing me for my trees. Their reasoning didn’t make any sense. It was some type of discrimination against me but I couldn’t get help to fight this nonsense. I just removed my trees. I am heart broken because I loved my trees. Three years ago when I was planting these trees in my own land HOA board members verbally approved the project. Later when some personal conflicts happened, they started saying that you never got approval. This time I asked HOA to give me a clearance letter because I already followed their instructions and removed my 3 years old trees. Hoa hasn’t been responding to my request. Iast time I relied on their words but I learned the lesson and I have been trying to get the clearance in writing but they don’t respond. No response to any of my emails!
    I don’t know what else I can do? I followed whatever they asked me to do but they don’t communicate anymore.
    I can’t trust these people. They can come back with other requests later. Any idea what to do?

I’m confused. You said you already removed them. What’s the problem? Why do you think it was discrimination. If your trees were against their by-laws and you don’t have written approval then that seems like a tough case to try to win.

Comment

Go to the next board meeting and ask

Comment

Considering your history with this HOA, you need a lawyer.

Comment

Originally posted by CordMcNally View Post
          I’m confused. You said you already removed them. What’s the problem? Why do you think it was discrimination. If your trees were against their by-laws and you don’t have written approval then that seems like a tough case to try to win.
          Also confused

Comment

Originally posted by Olagh View Post
            My HOA kept harassing me for my trees. Their reasoning didn’t make any sense. It was some type of discrimination against me but I couldn’t get help to fight this nonsense. I just removed my trees. I am heart broken because I loved my trees. Three years ago when I was planting these trees in my own land HOA board members verbally approved the project. Later when some personal conflicts happened, they started saying that you never got approval. This time I asked HOA to give me a clearance letter because I already followed their instructions and removed my 3 years old trees. Hoa hasn’t been responding to my request. Iast time I relied on their words but I learned the lesson and I have been trying to get the clearance in writing but they don’t respond. No response to any of my emails!
            I don’t know what else I can do? I followed whatever they asked me to do but they don’t communicate anymore.
            I can’t trust these people. They can come back with other requests later. Any idea what to do?
            A friend has a house in an HOA (a weak one, I think, $30/month or something like that). They were harassing him with some typical HOA BS. He tried to comply, but they were being petty and a pain. He finally got fed up and told them to sue him. They backed off. They don't have the fund to sue, and when there's skin in the game, the board members don't want to be involved.

Comment

Originally posted by youngDoc View Post

A friend has a house in an HOA (a weak one, I think, $30/month or something like that). They were harassing him with some typical HOA BS. He tried to comply, but they were being petty and a pain. He finally got fed up and told them to sue him. They backed off. They don't have the fund to sue, and when there's skin in the game, the board members don't want to be involved.
              Until you try to sell and there's something the HOA holds your contract up. Petty is petty.

Comment

[QUOTE=CordMcNally;n334222]I’m confused. You said you already removed them. What’s the problem? Why do you think it was discrimination. If your trees were against their by-laws and you don’t have written approval then that seems like a tough case to try to win.”There is nothing in bylaws saying that italian cypress trees are not allowed. 3 years ago when I was planting the trees, they verbally agreed. There was no problem at that time. Later it became a problem! They didn’t give me any approval in writing. Now I was forced to remove them and I need clearance in writing . The problem is : they can pick on my other trees later. It’s not about trees.
                Why I think it’s discriminatory action? Because the other homeowner who lives across the street has the same exact tree. I told them if my trees are against the law, why the other homeowner has it? HOA said the other homeowner has permission! Does this statement make any sense? A tree is okay for one home and not okay for the other home?

Comment

Originally posted by childay View Post

Also confused
                  My apologies for the confusion. I ended up removing the trees that HOA marked. I have other trees. HOA can pick on any of my trees later and harass me to remove them as well. I realized they can do this easily and they don’t need to explain themselves. They just send a notification to remove trees.
                  Last time I asked for the reason and they said it’s not matched with the rest of homes in the area. Nobody has as many as trees that you have. Does this make any sense?
                  then they said cypress trees are violent trees and causing damage. I told them it’s my own land and I will be responsible for whatever damage.
                  then they said cypress trees attract rodents to the area
                  These are not logical reasons to ask someone to remove 5 trees.

Comment

I would ask for a copy of the approval.
                    Then write up what I wanted approved and ask for signatures.

Comment

Originally posted by youngDoc View Post

Sometimes this strategy works but it didn’t work for me . I told them once. They started collecting more money. They asked for 1000$ from everyone to get enough of funds reserved for emergency situations.they collected 1000$ extra from everyone. Also HOA board President has a brother who is a lawyer. It’s not easy to fight these people.

Comment

I once sat in front of my HOA board and bloviated(like I do here, everywhere) for 45 minutes. I convinced them that pouring wood chips on my front lawn was a good landscaping idea in lieu of 99% of the neighbors who hire professionals. During the meeting I could tell the the male board members were like done with me after 15 minutes and approved my plan, but the female board member took a little bit more convincing. But eventually the volume of BS did her in too.

Comment

Sometimes this strategy works but it didn’t work for me . I told them once. They started collecting more money. They asked for 1000$ from everyone to get enough of funds reserved for emergency situations.they collected 1000$ extra from everyone. Also HOA board President has a brother who is a lawyer. It’s not easy to fight these people.
                          So, can you expand on the ongoing issue?

Also, having a family member in law is like having a family member in medicine. It’s usually never in the appropriate specialty for whatever issue is going on.

Comment

Originally posted by CordMcNally View Post

So, can you expand on the ongoing issue?

Also, having a family member in law is like having a family member in medicine. It’s usually never in the appropriate specialty for whatever issue is going on.
                            I believe I explained it.Is there Anything specific that you would like to know? I mean any specific questions?
                            Basically I did whatever they asked me to do but they are not going to give me clearance . I would like to get a letter that says the property is in compliance and the rest of trees are approved. Is this unreasonable request?

Comment

I believe I explained it.Is there Anything specific that you would like to know? I mean any specific questions?
                              Basically I did whatever they asked me to do but they are not going to give me clearance . I would like to get a letter that says the property is in compliance and the rest of trees are approved. Is this unreasonable request?
                              I guess not because I'm still confused. From my understanding, you got a verbal ok for the trees, you later found out it was against their rules, and after some back and forth you took your trees down. To me, it sounds like the ordeal is over.

Comment

Working...
                              X