seeing a new house etiquiette

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lordosis View Post
    This is your first home purchase see as many houses as you darn well please. If your real estate agent complains get a different real estate agent. This is going to be one of the largest purchases of your life and you want to have as much data going into it as possible. A lot of real estate has been coming up and down very fast these days so if getting an idea looking in the neighborhoods will help you make that snap decision on another more important property than it might be worth it.

I would not stray too far from your intended price range however. If you go too low you will truly just be wasting your time. And if you go too high you might be tempted into buying more than you should.
    As per usual, I agree with Lordosis. Nothing rude about using someone you’re paying for their time to educate you on the market. You’re not someone looking at houses with no intention to buy; you’re looking at houses to have a better knowledge base when you do buy. You’re probably paying this person $15-25k - a few extra afternoons is a rounding error.

Comment

There is no problem with going to as many houses as you want to.

Comment

I don't see the point in looking at houses you would have no interest in buying. All you will learn is the market for things you don't want. Why not look at houses that you might want? Online, open house or scheduled visits?

Comment

Originally posted by afan View Post
          I don't see the point in looking at houses you would have no interest in buying. All you will learn is the market for things you don't want. Why not look at houses that you might want? Online, open house or scheduled visits?
          Maybe I'm mistaken but I believe the op means he wants to look at houses on The Fringe of what he might be interested in. I do agree if there is absolutely zero chance of interest in the house it probably is a waste of time for everybody but if there's a chance and you have the time taking a look and not hurt. Also a lot of times especially if it's your first home you do not really know what you want and seeing as much variety as possible can be helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by Lordosis View Post

Maybe I'm mistaken but I believe the op means he wants to look at houses on The Fringe of what he might be interested in. I do agree if there is absolutely zero chance of interest in the house it probably is a waste of time for everybody but if there's a chance and you have the time taking a look and not hurt. Also a lot of times especially if it's your first home you do not really know what you want and seeing as much variety as possible can be helpful.
            I read it the other way - slim/none chances in secondary neighborhoods. If one already has set a specific area/neighborhood, rarely would you outside of those parameters. If unsure; yes, go rule out homes that may fit and pass the smell test. But homes outside your set parameters and want to tour anyways? Buy a lottery ticket too that day would be my bet.

Comment

Working...
            X