Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 15/6 ARM vs. 30 year fixed

Hello,
    I am under contract for a new construction house and am looking at mortgage options now.
    Builder affiliated lender offered option of 15/6mo ARM 2.875% vs. 30 year fixed 3.875%.
    Which would be a better option? I will be staying there for the foreseeable future, at least 5-10 years.
    Thank you

If you're truly know <15yrs, that's your answer. could regret it at 12 year mark; but we all have varying success on calling what's 15 years down the line. We've been in three homes over that past 15 years.

What's a 15year fixed getting you compared to a 15/6?

Comment

15/6 sounds like the clear winner here.

Comment

Can the 15 year mortgage be adjusted up every 6m for the next 15 years ?

Comment

I'd take the 30 year fixed to make the risk curve flatter. 15 years out is hard to predict either way. What's the monthly payment difference?

Comment

I'd take the 15/6 and pay it off in 15.

Comment

thank you

Monthly payment is similar but 30 yr fixed requires 20% down, whereas 15/6 is 11% down.
              We are leaning towards 15/6 but am considering worst case scenarios..which sounds like refinancing at a higher rate but yeah 15 years is too far out to really predict the market or my financial situation at that time.

One more question: Should I use points to reduce the rate? (1% of loan to buy down .25)

Comment

You'd have to figure out the break even, but I wouldn't do it if you don't anticipate living here past 10 years. I think people need to remember that these rates (whichever one you pick) are still historically low.

Comment

mcthemax could you share the lender you used? looking for construction lenders. thank you!

Comment

Working...
                  X