Optimizing School District

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Optimizing School District

I am considering moving to a different metro area. I have targeted a suburb of a large metro with a great school district, where a very close friend of mine resides. There is little inventory at the moment -- some new homes that would presumably take a year to construct, some older not-so-great homes, and some options outside my price range. No rentals -- and I assume what comes on the market gets snapped or may not meet our requirements. Assuming I can't find something by the time I move, what is the best strategy?

I think I could find plenty of options (rental or purchase) in adjacent school districts but that would entail displacing kids from current district to new district and then to desired school district. If I move in with my friend for a couple of weeks and register them to desired district, is that kosher? I would probably then find a rental close by (but not necessarily in district of choice) and then buy or build in the right spot. Are there any other workarounds?
    Last edited by chucki; 01-12-2022, 09:10 AM.

Some places you are allowed to request alternate school as soon as you register. Of course if this is a metropolitan than there's already a waitlist for that.

Comment

It's not selling season. There will be homes that start coming on the market soon. They might be snatched up quickly, but sellers usually at least wait a day in a hot market to get competing bids.

Comment

Originally posted by chucki View Post
        If I move in with my friend for a couple of weeks and register them to desired district, is that kosher? I would probably then find a rental close by (but not necessarily in district of choice) and then buy or build in the right spot. Are there any other workarounds?
        Some school districts want multiple proof of residence that are in your name - Power bill, property tax bill etc to make sure that you actually reside there and pay the local taxes. And to prevent one off registration and moving, some even ask for proof of residence every academic year.

Comment

Originally posted by Kamban View Post

Some school districts want multiple proof of residence that are in your name - Power bill, property tax bill etc to make sure that you actually reside there and pay the local taxes. And to prevent one off registration and moving, some even ask for proof of residence every academic year.
          This makes sense...guess I really need to find something in time for the next school year.

Comment

Originally posted by chucki View Post
            I am considering moving to a different metro area. I have targeted a suburb of a large metro with a great school district, where a very close friend of mine resides. There is little inventory at the moment -- some new homes that would presumably take a year to construct, some older not-so-great homes, and some options outside my price range. No rentals -- and I assume what comes on the market gets snapped or may not meet our requirements. Assuming I can't find something by the time I move, what is the best strategy?

I think I could find plenty of options (rental or purchase) in adjacent school districts but that would entail displacing kids from current district to new district and then to desired school district. If I move in with my friend for a couple of weeks and register them to desired district, is that kosher? I would probably then find a rental close by (but not necessarily in district of choice) and then buy or build in the right spot. Are there any other workarounds?
            Are your kids in school now? It sounds like you are doing an "enemy of good is better" kind of thing. You have 7 months to find a place.

Anyway, in my area, the principal has a lot of power about letting kids in through a variance, and I've heard that there is something to be said for a principal to principal phone call. But if you're coming from another city to move to a close-ish district, that seems like a stretch.

Comment

When psh comes to shove, you can actually run into physical verification. Where’s doses the family sleep and physically live.
              I rented an apartment in the new district whole building a house. They don’t take kindly, This was for different scoops within the same school district. Different motives for different purposes.
              I would suggest not just the school district, but which schools you want.

Comment

Keep in mind that school districts can change. I would never go on a recommendation from a friend as to the strength of a school district. Many times their only point is to validate their own decision. Each kid is a different fit.

Comment

Originally posted by G View Post

Are your kids in school now? It sounds like you are doing an "enemy of good is better" kind of thing. You have 7 months to find a place.

Anyway, in my area, the principal has a lot of power about letting kids in through a variance, and I've heard that there is something to be said for a principal to principal phone call. But if you're coming from another city to move to a close-ish district, that seems like a stretch.
                  Yeah they are in school and will be moving during HS so I want to minimize the adjustment by not having to move them multiple times. I think they would do fine but want them to have the best possible experience.

I may expand options by looking at other districts -- flexibility is always good. However, this district is small and highly rated in comparison to some others in the area which seem college-sized (albeit also considered decent).

Comment

Originally posted by G View Post
                    Anyway, in my area, the principal has a lot of power about letting kids in through a variance, and I've heard that there is something to be said for a principal to principal phone call. .
                    Ah, here in my county that is a disaster waiting to happen with charges of nepotism and favoritism with lawsuits and no principal would want to do that. About 8-10 years ago a new elementary school opened and people camped out in front of the school to enroll in it since it was on a first come, first served basis. Camps were set outside in the cold rainy weather. But on the day of the door opening, a fight occurred and all h*ll broke loose. A woman had to be taken to hospital with serious injury. Working parents complained they had no ability to camp out for 3 days and also hold a job.

From that time on, everything is done by lottery and with no effect whatsoever if you applied 2 months ahead or just minutes before the deadline. And if you wanted to transfer to another non-magnet school within the district you also apply and if there are open slots, a lottery determines who gets in. You have to provide your own transportation. For magnet schools / programs the slots are determined by a combination of minimum scores like Iowa test scores, aptitude test and then a lottery with a waiting queue for the people who did not get in in the first attempt.

Comment

Originally posted by Kamban View Post

Ah, here in my county that is a disaster waiting to happen with charges of nepotism and favoritism with lawsuits and no principal would want to do that. About 8-10 years ago a new elementary school opened and people camped out in front of the school to enroll in it since it was on a first come, first served basis. Camps were set outside in the cold rainy weather. But on the day of the door opening, a fight occurred and all h*ll broke loose. A woman had to be taken to hospital with serious injury. Working parents complained they had no ability to camp out for 3 days and also hold a job.

From that time on, everything is done by lottery and with no effect whatsoever if you applied 2 months ahead or just minutes before the deadline. And if you wanted to transfer to another non-magnet school within the district you also apply and if there are open slots, a lottery determines who gets in. You have to provide your own transportation. For magnet schools / programs the slots are determined by a combination of minimum scores like Iowa test scores, aptitude test and then a lottery with a waiting queue for the people who did not get in in the first attempt.
                      Blood drawn over school choice...Meanwhile, I'm seeing unvax covid kids all day long.... Interesting....

To be fair, no admits or mis-c recently.

Comment

Working...
                      X