This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by StarTrekDoc View Post
    In Miami, no HOA = okay to park your car on the front lawn (standard practice in Miami).
    In our HOA, there are rules for "one family" and a "garage space in which to park every vehicle that kept there", :no overnight parking" , "no home business"., "approved architectural design" and "no structures visible from the street", "landscaping approval" and even "approval of paint and roofing materials". There is no "zoning", the HOA is the only "rules". Sounds so draconian. It is not. Only because the HOA deals sensibly with the multitude of various needs/interpretations.

The intent is that this is a "residential neighborhood" with the intent of an aesthetic appeal. No one cares is someone has a "home office", what matters is the traffic and business related equipment and customer type intrusions into the residential defined home (over both the resident and the other residents). Last year, there was an agenda item for "parking issues". The BoD was unwilling to take the responsibility for "strict enforcement" (which was undefined for good reason). Has anyone ever had a need to park in the driveway? They invited discussion and asked for "volunteers" to head up a "parking enforcement committee. The multiple issues of "family", business, garage and parking are so specific that the HOA in the minutes declined "strict enforcement" but also directed the BoD to continue to enforce the regulations with the emphasis on preserving the "residential neighborhood". That meant, multi-generation family vehicles could be parked in the driveway. In the minutes there was a request to limit the overnight street parking to temporary needs. This allows me to have "house guests" that park in the driveway for however long I wish. No one wants to give up the considerate use of their home. At the same time, "commercializing" the community was prohibited. If I have a complaint, I talk to the HOA. I don't care if the "business owner" or doctor works from the residence one bit. I do care if their business interferes with my neighborhood. I had a neighbor "get in the face" of a niece that was providing home healthcare for a terminally ill relative that lived with us. I walked down and asked what the problem was. I ended the discussion as best I could.
    "She is not my maid, she is my niece. Thank you for the feedback." I also requested a constable to get out of my garage. Buried underneath each of these were some authority and potentially discrimination issues (Asian vs Hispanic) and cultural issues (owner vs hired help)., No need to address them. It is my house, a resident.
    I like having the HOA, it protects my property rights. I agree to the limitations.
    I don't want cars parked on the front lawn (up on blocks pulling the engine in some year). I would complain about that as well as the truck with a trailer being "garaged on the street".
    At our first HOA meeting there was a "vote". The HOA president was the developer. After the vote the motion passed (I think budget related) like 32-0. He explained afterwards that the 6 vacant lots had 600 votes. Yes, he could have done whatever he wanted but chose to abide by the residents choice. Good neighbors make a good HOA. You can actually change an HOA, but only with good neighbors. That is one thing you can't really judge when building or buying a residence.

Comment

In Miami, no HOA = okay to park your car on the front lawn (standard practice in Miami).
      We go one further than that in the sticks of SC - we park the car on the front lawn on bricks. Wheels - who needs them.

Comment

Originally posted by FIREshrink View Post

It's funny, I wanted to park the large RV on my own lawn so I intentionally bought a home not in an HOA.

(The following year we finally had the concrete pad and carport put in, along with the pool, hot tub, garden, so it was just a temporary phase. But thank goodness no HOA was there to tell us we could or couldn't build it out exactly how and when we wanted.)
        Which is all well and good but if you were the neighbor wanting to sell your house at that time, you would have quite a few buyers being turned off by having a RV on the lawn next door. And your property value would have gone way down. If are OK with those types of things happening, more power to you..

I live in a small 6 house subdivision where there are covenants but no HOA. Most neighbors take extra effort to make their lawn/garden and property look nice. So one is shamed into the upkeep if their property stands out like a sore thumb. The good thing is that with houses >700K minimum no one wants values to go down.

Comment

Originally posted by Kamban View Post

We go one further than that in the sticks of SC - we park the car on the front lawn on bricks. Wheels - who needs them.
          Plastic milk jugs filled with water and a touch of red and green food coloring makes it easy to decorate for the holidays.
          Change colors with the seasons and they look great!

Comment

Which is all well and good but if you were the neighbor wanting to sell your house at that time, you would have quite a few buyers being turned off by having a RV on the lawn next door. And your property value would have gone way down. If are OK with those types of things happening, more power to you..

I live in a small 6 house subdivision where there are covenants but no HOA. Most neighbors take extra effort to make their lawn/garden and property look nice. So one is shamed into the upkeep if their property stands out like a sore thumb. The good thing is that with houses >700K minimum no one wants values to go down.
            I like having the choice. I chose to buy 2 acres where my nearest neighbor is not within earshot. What they do is on them. My neighbor's shop roof collapsed. It hasn't been fixed. It doesn't bother me at all. If I care enough I'll buy his lot and demo the shop.

Until/unless I'm old and decrepit and living in an assisted living facility or condo, I won't live in an HOA again. I had a bad experience with a prototypical nosy HOA board that tried to dictate everything about my property - gate, fencing, lawn, paint color. Not interested in being constrained that way again, regardless of my property value.

Comment

I like having the choice. I chose to buy 2 acres where my nearest neighbor is not within earshot. What they do is on them. My neighbor's shop roof collapsed. It hasn't been fixed. It doesn't bother me at all..
              Have you...have you checked to make sure they're not stuck under the collapsed roof and that's why it isn't fixed yet?

Comment

Originally posted by Shant View Post
                I feel like you are taking a water gun to a knife fight. Take the HOA documents to a lawyer and listen to what they have to say. Understand that if you are not willing or able to get others involved then you will be shooting yourself in the foot by kicking up a fight that you cannot win. Be strategic here, that might mean biding your time for now.
                I have no problem giving my time but majority of neighbors don’t want to participate in any thing. Nobody cares how much are the bills. They say they are busy. I think it’s cultural and they don’t want to get involved or say anything. Probably I should keep my mouth shot and let one neighbor to dominate and abuse his power as HOA president to take my money and bully me. You buy a house is HOA and you should be miserable the rest of your life! You signed HOA documents and that’s it! HOA can interpret the rules however he feels and HOA can enforce the rules selectively. I guess that’s life! I should suck it up!

Comment

chinatown, bruv
                  “. . . And the LORD spake, saying “First shalt thou take out the Holy 401k. Then shalt thou save to 20%, no more, no less. 20% shall be the number thou shalt save, and the number of the saving shall be 20%. 25% shalt thou not save, neither save thou 15%, excepting that thou then proceed to 20%. 30% is right out . . .””

Comment

Originally posted by Olagh View Post

I have no problem giving my time but majority of neighbors don’t want to participate in any thing. Nobody cares how much are the bills. They say they are busy. I think it’s cultural and they don’t want to get involved or say anything. Probably I should keep my mouth shot and let one neighbor to dominate and abuse his power as HOA president to take my money and bully me. You buy a house is HOA and you should be miserable the rest of your life! You signed HOA documents and that’s it! HOA can interpret the rules however he feels and HOA can enforce the rules selectively. I guess that’s life! I should suck it up!
                    Sorry to say this but your post drips of self loathing, self pity and massive dose of denial. You know what a HOA stands for - Home owner association. You are a home owner and have to be in that association but also have a right to stand be elected into the governing board. Yet post after post you only cry and moan about your HOA board and neighbors but have not said that you will stand for the board and try and see what is happening on the inside. Your neighbors might be indifferent but if you stand for election and canvass for it with those neighbors you will get voted in.

If you lose then you have two options - stay and pay or get out. But whining on this board does you no good unless you want to take action as a citizen homeowner and stand for election and fight for your rights.
                    Last edited by Kamban; 12-16-2021, 09:50 AM.

Comment

I like having the choice. I chose to buy 2 acres where my nearest neighbor is not within earshot. What they do is on them. My neighbor's shop roof collapsed. It hasn't been fixed. It doesn't bother me at all. If I care enough I'll buy his lot and demo the shop.

Until/unless I'm old and decrepit and living in an assisted living facility or condo, I won't live in an HOA again. I had a bad experience with a prototypical nosy HOA board that tried to dictate everything about my property - gate, fencing, lawn, paint color. Not interested in being constrained that way again, regardless of my property value.
                      You made a wise decision. You knew you cannot park a RV on the front lawn in a HOA community and decided wisely to buy the 2 acre non HOA land. The only ones who can say anything are if there is any county regulations against it. The problem I have witnessed is some people do not want to spend the money on that 2 acre land or live far out in the boondocks but still want to have that RV and park it on the narrow streets of their subdivision. For those people those HOA rules are necessary.

I was a board member for 3 years of my the HOA where I lived before I moved in 2020. Most of my fellow board members were normal people with normal jobs who just wanted to live and let live with their community folk and everyone to follow simple rules. None of us were out to get anyone or skim anything off the top ( what can you skim from $250/year anyway). The meetings were out in the open at the local library, the newsletter was sent and our email and phone numbers were given out to the members should they have an issue.

90% of the people liked to follow the simple regulations. But the minority just felt they can flout rules. Some of them were

1. Parking on the streets, especially on the curves and at night. And they would park right across each other with hardly a space for even that tiny Fiat to pass, let alone the monsters like Tahoe. Why, oh Why. We allowed parking on driveways (which some communities prohibit) and yet they would not do that and create road hazard at nights.
                      2. Parking across each other on a street just before a sharp turning side street and having their children play on the sidewalk and the road. There have been near disasters.
                      3. The shutters need repairing once in 3 years or so and the vinyl sidings washed once in 5 years. And not have a weed garden. Most people respect the notice when we suggest some action to keep up with standards ( and I asked them to appraise my house critically even as a fellow board member). But some just don't want the upkeep or play by the established sensible rules. If so, why buy in a HOA community. Why?

There might be some draconian HOA community but most are run by sensible homeowners who just want to have a good neighborhood with straightforward rules that everyone obeys.

Comment

Sorry to say this but your post drips of self loathing, self pity and massive dose of denial. You know what a HOA stands for - Home owner association. You are a home owner and have to be in that association but also have a right to stand be elected into the governing board. Yet post of post you only cry and moan about your HOA board and neighbors but have not said that you will stand for the board and try and see what is happening on the inside. Your neighbors might be indifferent but if you stand for election and canvass for it with those neighbors you will get voted in.

If you lose then you have two options - stay and pay or get out. But whining on this board does you no good unless you want to take action as a citizen homeowner and stand for election and fight for your rights.
                        +1. Most HOAs are setup to be fair -- if its members choose so. You can either engage and participate and do community canvasing -- or not. One cannot complain about its subjugation while refusing to participate.

Pissed about something? Do something about it, and don't break the rules.

Comment

+1. Most HOAs are setup to be fair -- if its members choose so. You can either engage and participate and do community canvasing -- or not. One cannot complain about its subjugation while refusing to participate.

Pissed about something? Do something about it, and don't break the rules.
                          Sometimes a larger HOA actually hires a management company. THAT can go off the rails very fast. Delegating too much authority makes it "easy" on the BoD, but no vested interest for a fee can be way out of bounds. Things like forcing a foreclosure sale for $50 unpaid. The house being sold for foreclosure auction price etc. Simply due to a resident mix up and/or misunderstanding. It is one thing to delegate notice of enforcement, it is a different approval to punish the residents.

Comment

You have powers. Those powers are set out in the HOA documents. Find out what those powers are and use them. Nobody here can tell you anything more.

Comment

This thread doesn't seem to be going anywhere constructive, so I'm closing it.

Original poster, please contact a California attorney who has experience dealing with HOA issues. Or don't. But complaining about the HOA on this forum won't solve anything.

Comment

Working...
                              X