No announcement yet.

Where to retire?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trifecta: Puerto Rico (6 months, satisfies act 60), Bermuda or Guernsey (channel islands in Europe) 3months and US near family for 3 months during the summers. People in the know, will know why.
    Last edited by Marko-ER; 09-14-2021, 02:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Marko-ER View Post
      Guernsey (channel islands in Europe)
      There's a Lore podcast episode about Guernsey. It was the first I'd ever heard of it.

Comment

Originally posted by CordMcNally View Post

There's a Lore podcast episode about Guernsey. It was the first I'd ever heard of it.
        The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society is a wonderful period movie on Netflix, charming and very family friendly IIRC. It is beautiful country!

Comment

Originally posted by CordMcNally View Post

You must not be a knitter

Comment

Originally posted by Anne View Post

You must not be a knitter
            I can't say that I am. The internet tells me that they're popular in the knitting industry and even have a sweater named after them, too. Just call me an adult learner because I learn something new every day.

Comment

We also have to factor in
              access to tertiary healthcare centers
              dependence on home health
              Security and social services

Comment

Trifecta: Puerto Rico (6 months, satisfies act 60), Bermuda or Guernsey (channel islands in Europe) 3months and US near family for 3 months during the summers. People in the know, will know why.
                I'm not in the know. Why? I recall something about PR being advantageous for retirees, but don't really want to live there (too far from family and too many hurricanes). I infer some tax advantage to Bermuda or Guernsey. If so, what exactly is the hack here?

Comment

Originally posted by nastle View Post
                  We also have to factor in
                  access to tertiary healthcare centers
                  dependence on home health
                  Security and social services
                  Are those things needed now or you just want them around just in case?

I would never live someplace I felt unsafe but at this point in my life and hopefully for quite some time I do not care how far away a tertiary care center is. Home health and social services could mean a lot of things. I will cross that bridge when we get there but I would not plan ahead for problems I do not have.

Comment

Originally posted by VagabondMD View Post

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society is a wonderful period movie on Netflix, charming and very family friendly IIRC. It is beautiful country!
                    I thought of the same thing when I spotted the word Guernsey Agreed it is a charming little film

Comment

Originally posted by Lordosis View Post

Are those things needed now or you just want them around just in case?

I would never live someplace I felt unsafe but at this point in my life and hopefully for quite some time I do not care how far away a tertiary care center is. Home health and social services could mean a lot of things. I will cross that bridge when we get there but I would not plan ahead for problems I do not have.
                      Everyone is different
                      I’m already 41 healthy so far but time takes it’s toll
                      and no one in my family lives past 84

Comment

Can you point me in a direction in order to become a person in the know?

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Ragman View Post

I'm not in the know. Why? I recall something about PR being advantageous for retirees, but don't really want to live there (too far from family and too many hurricanes). I infer some tax advantage to Bermuda or Guernsey. If so, what exactly is the hack here?
                          Look up Act 60. There are fun & safe parts of Puerto Rico like Vieques. And you don't have to and don't want to be there during hurricane season.

Comment

Look up Act 60. There are fun & safe parts of Puerto Rico like Vieques. And you don't have to and don't want to be there during hurricane season.
                            OK, I did that. Interesting but several other states offer individual breaks that good. Property still has to be there during hurricane season even if I am not. (By the way, I am used to thinking of Vieques as a gunnery target.)

But what I really meant was what is the hack for Guernsey and Bermuda?

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Ragman View Post

OK, I did that. Interesting but several other states offer individual breaks that good. Property still has to be there during hurricane season even if I am not. (By the way, I am used to thinking of Vieques as a gunnery target.)

But what I really meant was what is the hack for Guernsey and Bermuda?
                              Yes, the Guernsey/Bermuda thing was what I was asking about above as well.

Comment

Wife lived in PR during childhood - going back is a non-starter. Nope. no way. Sorry Miranda.

Comment

Working...
                                X