Where to retire?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to retire?

I’m starting to think about where I might retire. I think I want to live on a lake, with a dock and boat and all that, but my wife wants a view of “mountains.” Is there a place in this big beautiful country of ours that has both?

Yes but they aren't cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by CordMcNally View Post
      Yes but they aren't cheap.
      Neither am I.

Comment

Originally posted by RJB View Post

Neither am I.
        3107 Jameson Beach Rd, South Lake Tahoe, CA 96150 | MLS #20210551 | Zillow

Good thing interest rates are low.

Comment

Originally posted by CordMcNally View Post
          Mortgages are for the plebeians.

RJB, a lake house in the mountains sounds perfect!

Comment

Several TVA lakes in Northern Alabama and Southern tennessee are beautiful and much cheaper than Tahoe. To me Tahoe is a powerball win.

Comment

I’m starting to think about where I might retire. I think I want to live on a lake, with a dock and boat and all that, but my wife wants a view of “mountains.” Is there a place in this big beautiful country of ours that has both?
              Maine and New Hampshire have this available.

Comment

Originally posted by Hatton View Post
                Several TVA lakes in Northern Alabama and Southern tennessee are beautiful and much cheaper than Tahoe. To me Tahoe is a powerball win.
                Plus you don't have months of wildfire smoke to deal with each year. I absolutely love where we live but I'm starting to think we're going to have to move because of that. I'd pick somewhere on the eastern half of the country to avoid having to move again in the future as the fires on the west coast inevitably worsen.

Comment

Originally posted by wideopenspaces View Post

Plus you don't have months of wildfire smoke to deal with each year. I absolutely love where we live but I'm starting to think we're going to have to move because of that. I'd pick somewhere on the eastern half of the country to avoid having to move again in the future as the fires on the west coast inevitably worsen.
                  I feel like we're running out of stuff to burn....

(I know, I know.)

Comment

There is a place i drove by on accident that has the most beautiful scenery and has both you are looking for, but I will not tell anyone because I don't want it ruined. However, when i get home ill post a pic of it.

Comment

We have been thinking and talking about this a lot. I am thinking about Boulder area, CO, Washington state (ex Seattle), northern midwest (Wisconsin or Michigan) or New England (Vermont or Maine). A lot depends on where the kids settle and how much distance we would like to place between them and us.

Comment

Isn’t this question exactly why Florida was brought into the union?

Comment

I don’t understand why people spend a full career in a place like Flint, Michigan or Newark, New Jersey and then move upon retirement.
                          You can live and work in plenty of places that are desirable for retirement.

As for Lake Tahoe, income taxes alone should cause one to pick the Nevada part of Lake Tahoe.

Comment

There are many places that have both. The question is the type of weather you would like to have, especially in the winter. And taxes, both property and income, also play a part.

There are beautiful lakes and mountains adjacent to each other in Western North Carolina and Upstate S. Carolina.

Comment

I love DC area close to I95 and all that is good. We had planned to do the snow bird thing to FL until we are too decrepit to drive down but after this year’s election FL lost some of its luster.

Comment

Working...
                              X