beach house must haves, home builders in Maine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• beach house must haves, home builders in Maine

We're looking to tear down and rebuild a beach house in Maine. It's aging and needs a lot of work (no central air, electricity outdated, some leaks) It has amazing views (2nd in from the ocean) which we'd love to preserve. Anyone built a beach house from scratch? Any pointers or tips? Also, anyone on the forum know any home builders in Maine?

We have a lakehouse, so not quite the same. But I'd do lots of windows, deck, outdoor shower and no carpet ( cause sand will definitely get tracked into the house). No landscaping that requires much maintenance. Keeping a smaller footprint means less work, so having kids share rooms is helpful. A nice fireplace for winter. Good size garage or storage for surf boards, paddleboards, bikes, etc.. Your place sounds awesome! Enjoy:-)

Comment

Vacation homes in Maine are many. Since you already have the property, you know best so many factors (beach/rock, frequency and duration, activities , weatherizing etc.).

I would start with how you use it and intend to use it. Then what you want to change.

Not much help because I don’t have a clue what is suitable. A lot are seasonal and get buttoned up for off season. Some are used once a year.

I would consider “house hunting” for the purpose of shopping for design, features and ideas.

Comment

Your neighbors would be the best source for local builders. Second best would be locals in the nearest town, assuming your house is not in a town. The builder should have knowledge as to what works best for designs and building materials in the area.

Comment

We built a house in Cape Cod.
          Would be sure that all the trim is azek type wood so no issues with rot from exposure
          Outside shower is a must
          Don't skimp on deck size, outside living is where much of activity is
          First floor bedroom if multilevel
          Extra bedrooms as family expands
          generator when electric being installed if power issues

Comment

Congrats that is very exciting. Some thoughts: Old houses in Maine have things against traditional code that are grandfathered. Make sure whatever you tear down can be rebuilt with new code. Otherwise you may want to renovate or restore certain parts of your house.

As you probably know being that close to ocean the house will wear on the outside from salt. Use fixtures and materials on the outside that are resistant to rust/oxidation.

Comment

Originally posted by wideopenspaces View Post
              We have a lakehouse, so not quite the same. But I'd do lots of windows, deck, outdoor shower and no carpet ( cause sand will definitely get tracked into the house). No landscaping that requires much maintenance. Keeping a smaller footprint means less work, so having kids share rooms is helpful. A nice fireplace for winter. Good size garage or storage for surf boards, paddleboards, bikes, etc.. Your place sounds awesome! Enjoy:-)
              This is an excellent list. I'd also say on the outdoor area somewhere you can sit and enjoy all year, whether that means cover, fireplace etc...oh wait, this is maine, maybe not. But something for much of the year to enjoy it.

Comment

Originally posted by pedsmd View Post
                We're looking to tear down and rebuild a beach house in Maine. It's aging and needs a lot of work (no central air, electricity outdated, some leaks) It has amazing views (2nd in from the ocean) which we'd love to preserve. Anyone built a beach house from scratch? Any pointers or tips? Also, anyone on the forum know any home builders in Maine?
                We are working with an architect in Maine. We are on a lake 45 min outside Portland. I know we have some contractor names. I can forward later this week.

Comment

What others have mentioned are important. Another is Maine has the 100' from historical high water mark ( this goes for any building along any body of water) that you can only add on 30% for the life of the house. So a complete tear down may trigger new setbacks and limitations. So consult at least a design/build team and know the building codes well.

Comment

Working...
                  X