Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home Appraised Higher in Refinance Process

Hi everyone,

I am in the process of refinancing my physician mortgage with the goal of lowering monthly payments. Just found out the house appraised higher than expected. The original loan amount was for $248,000 at 4.5% in 2018. Today, the house is appraised for $310,000. Currently have 234,000 left in principal. The lender is offering a new rate of 3.25% on a loan amount of $241,000. Planning on staying in the home until 2024. Since the value of the home went up more than expected, do I have any leverage in lowering the interest rate even further? In addition, does it make sense to now do a cash-out refinance and use the extra cash to pay off student loans at higher interest rates? Appreciate any feedback, opinions. Thank you!

Bumping.

Note that interest on a cash-out refi used for anything other than qualified purposes (for primary/secondary residence purchase/improvement) is not deductible.

Wouldn't hurt to ask if you have more leverage, right? What are refi costs? If you're staying there only 3 yrs max, be sure the costs make sense. I like Zillow's refi calculator for a quick calc.
    Our passion is protecting clients and others from predatory advisors. Fox & Co CPAs, Fox & Co Wealth Mgmt. 270-247-6087

Comment

I guess I don’t know what current student loan rates are but can you not refinance your student loans to a comparable or even better rate?

Comment

i would say 3.25% rate is still on the higher end in today`s rate. I would shop around more get under 3% with no cost option. You don't have to stick with your current lender. Also ask them to see if they can waive the appraisal.

Comment

Get an ARM 5/1 if you have a hard end date of 2024. That will help the interest rate.

I calculate you have 15% equity, so still a physician mortgage I assume? That will increase the rate so take that into account when shopping around or making comparisons.

Agree with no-cost options for short term refi's. Agree with asking them to waive appraisal; I submitted my refi last week and they waived it.

As I've said on other threads, I saved a 5 digit number in closing costs alone AND got a better rate using a company found through Costco's program. Shop around.

Comment

Originally posted by jfoxcpacfp View Post
            Bumping.

Note that interest on a cash-out refi used for anything other than qualified purposes (for primary/secondary residence purchase/improvement) is not deductible.

Wouldn't hurt to ask if you have more leverage, right? What are refi costs? If you're staying there only 3 yrs max, be sure the costs make sense. I like Zillow's refi calculator for a quick calc.
            Thanks for the response! Based on the calculators, the refi cost estimates to about 6,000. I'll definitely be sure to ask!

Comment

Originally posted by CordMcNally View Post
              I guess I don’t know what current student loan rates are but can you not refinance your student loans to a comparable or even better rate?
              Thanks for your response. Didn't think of that. Will be sure to look into refinance options as well. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by justlearning View Post
                i would say 3.25% rate is still on the higher end in today`s rate. I would shop around more get under 3% with no cost option. You don't have to stick with your current lender. Also ask them to see if they can waive the appraisal.
                Thanks for your advice. I will definitely shop around and ask about waiving. Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by pysibal View Post
                  Get an ARM 5/1 if you have a hard end date of 2024. That will help the interest rate.

I calculate you have 15% equity, so still a physician mortgage I assume? That will increase the rate so take that into account when shopping around or making comparisons.

Agree with no-cost options for short term refi's. Agree with asking them to waive appraisal; I submitted my refi last week and they waived it.

As I've said on other threads, I saved a 5 digit number in closing costs alone AND got a better rate using a company found through Costco's program. Shop around.
                  Thanks for your response. Definitely will shop around and ask for the waived appraisal fee. Thank you!

Comment

Working...
                  X