Physician loan vs PMI vs 20% down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Physician loan vs PMI vs 20% down

Hello. We are in the process of purchasing a home currently and are going through the process of getting quotes from different banks. We have enough money in our “emergency fund” / cash for down payment for 10% down on the house that our offer was accepted on. We have enough for 20% down if we sell some stocks from our taxable account which we mostly financed from selling our house 1 year ago. (We would have enough for an additional 3-6 months in expenses as well). With interests rates so low (we are quoted 2.2% for 20% down, 30 year) we were thinking it may make sense to put down less than 20%. But after investigating the other options (physician loans vs PMI) with all the extra fees we are now wondering if it makes more sense to just do 20% to minimize the extra fees/ PMI that we don’t actually need. I realize to get the actual answer we should crunch all the numbers but with so many options and banks it is a little overwhelming. My wife currently is an attending making ~50% of the purchase price and I am finishing up in a few months and we are very likely going to be making >100% of the purchase price of the home by 2022. Things are complicated by a baby on the way and my own uncertainty with starting a practice. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

<20% down.
    what fees are you talking about? get more quotes. theres nothing that makes up the difference of 10-15% of extra cash you dont have to use.

Comment

That sounds like a good interest rate. Which lender are you using?

Comment

How much higher are the rates for the other lower down payment loan options? How long will you stay in the house?

I would probably put 20% down to get that sweet 2.2% long term rate, and then ramp up the investing on monthly autopilot once the second attending salary kicks in. I would do this, in particular, if I was planning on staying in the house for a long time.

Comment

PMI will wreck your APR. Getting it removed is a pain in the ****************** too. I would go either physician loan, 20% down, an 80/10/10 loan etc before anything with a PMI.

I would jump on the 20% down 30 year 2.2% rate if you can still get it. Rates have gone up in the past few weeks considerably.

Comment

Sounds like too much uncertainty with kid on the way and you haven’t even started your job yet.
            I would wait to buy a house. What’s the rush?

Comment

can you spell this out a bit more clearly?
              your post is kind of hard to follow.
              what are you actual options here?

Comment

Originally posted by MPMD View Post
                can you spell this out a bit more clearly?
                your post is kind of hard to follow.
                what are you actual options here?
                Agreed. Need some hard numbers

Comment

Working...
                X