Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• moving companies, moving advice?

Hi,

I'm planning to move from Southern California to Portland, Oregon for a new job. I have a wife and one child, and currently live in a 4-bed room house. What advice would you give to a young physician in terms of hiring a moving company vs moving pods vs uHaul? I also have 2 cars and am planning to drive 1 car up and ship the other car. My wife and daughter are planning to fly up. Any moving company recommendations? Car shipping companies that are reputable and economical? Thanks!

We used A Arnold World Class Relocation, Lou Border (aarnoldmoving.com) for going from Nashville to Orlando a few years ago, and we were exceedingly pleased with the movers (particularly the couple loading and driving the truck).  We had a 6 week old baby with us, and they were phenomenal during the entire process.  They fully packed up the house (~2500 sq ft) in a day, expedited transport/arrival (it can take a while depending on route/stops) b/c of the baby, were clean, provided updates, and the price was better than most quotes.

Comment

PS- We used uship.com to search for a car shipper recently (Boston to Orlando) and selected Montway Auto Transport.  Price was good, they had good reviews/BBB rating.  They could have had better communication (if I recall correctly, we had to talk to the home office to get initial updates instead of from the actual driver), but no complaints with the delivery.

Comment

There's nothing better (or cheaper) than doing it all yourself.  We were able to support the local football team who helped us move some of our larger items into the Uhaul.  We also had some great character building experiences traveling from Utah to Alaska through the ALCAN.

Comment

We used Nationwide Van Lines last year and they were awful. We'll have another move coming up, so I am curious about any recommendations people have. I have heard good things about Two Men And A Truck.

Comment

We've only ever done it ourselves. Rent a truck, load it up, move. We usually contact people from church to help. I've got a wife and 3 kids so the moving truck has gotten bigger with the past couple moves. Saves an enormous amount of money.

Comment

great thanks will get in contact with them, thank you!

Comment

I heard about 2 men and a truck and I called them today. They admitted their prices were a bit more pricier but it's because they guarantee fast delivery. Thanks for the warning!

Comment

I've been thinking about doing it myself and renting a uHaul, but the drive is really long and I don't think my wife and 5 month old would do to well. I am trying to figure out what would be the best use of my money and time, thanks!

Comment

I am a total cheapskate, and would probably make two/three trips and bring both cars myself.

That's a pretty far distance to cover though with all your stuff in tow, plus the 5mo old and wife.  I have done over 1,000/mi in a day but that's not in a uhaul with family.  Depending on where you are, that's probably 2 days and a hotel.

Moving company might just be worth it.  Will your new job pay for any relocation costs?  If they do, then it's absolutely worth it.   

Comment

I think the best of both worlds is ABF. They bring a semi to your house, you pack it up, and they ship it. Used it from texas to ohio and then ohio to southern cali. Im not too sure about movers though. Its been totally hit and miss. I've had them pack terribly and break everything (washer, dryer, tables, all kinds of stuff) and then had it go well. Best if you can do that yourself or monitor them as they do it.

In my last move we had an amazing experience, used movers but had the whole house packaged and ready in the living room for them. Plus it was only 1.4mi. But they were awesome, and the same company that broke all of our things the last time, so who knows.

I loved using the moving company. The loading/unloading is tough, especially as you age. It just speeds the whole process along and lets you be not as exhausted.

Comment

Used 2 men and a truck for cross-country move, it went excelent.

Used angles moving autos to ship 3 cars, also went great.

http://www.angelsmovingautos.com/
                        I'm sure you are getting some relocation $, why not use it?

Comment

Used 2 men and a truck for cross-country move, it went excelent.

Used angles moving autos to ship 3 cars, also went great.

http://www.angelsmovingautos.com/
                          I’m sure you are getting some relocation $, why not use it?

Oh, I also used a shipping company for any extra cars, totally agree with that recommendation. Used smooth move for loading/unloading, and one time was terrible and another amazing but that seems pretty normal.

Comment

just as a data point, we had terrible experience with two men and a truck.   their insurance also was a pain to work with compared to our experience with traditional moving trucks.  ymmv

Comment

I don't understand not having your wife drive the car with your child.  That would potentially save a decent amount of money.  My wife became quite accustomed to driving with our children by herself and never had a problem with that.  Then again, I don't even know how much it costs to ship a vehicle, so maybe it isn't a horrible decision.

I am a big fan of pods and not driving big trucks pulling a car.  We have used Pack Rat twice and really like that service.  Both times we loaded the thing up ourselves with help from friends and family.  And once we hired someone to take the stuff out of the pod.  The second time we had a moving budget that I didn't come close to maxing out, but I just like the idea of packing all my own stuff

Comment

Working...
                              X