Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home 20% down vs. investment

Hello all,

We are looking for advices in where to put our available cash of $50,000.
    Two options are on the table, (1) use it as a 20% down payment for a house ($250,000) at 30-year fixed rate of 2.625%, and (2) invest the amount in the market with 60-40 stock - bond ratio with 8.7% return (we hope ?). This "8.7%" is from the blog post (https://www.whitecoatinvestor.com/de...-stocks-bonds/).

Thank you very much!

At these current rates I would put down as little on a home as you can. I know you didn't ask this question but since you are a resident, I would think long and hard about buying a home, especially since you are strongly considering going back to Canada in 5 years.

Comment

Well that boat is already sailed. The house is being built from the ground up as we speak. Yup, I read the blog post on that after we signed the papers.
      So from this point forward, we are wondering what we should do with available resources on hand.

Comment

I would put as little into home equity at this point as possible. Are you planning on investing in a taxable account or in one of your pre-tax accounts? Make sure you have a proper emergency fund and putting the money in the correct place.

Comment

We are thinking (1) 6 month emergency fund. (2) taxable investment account in my wife's name (we are on J visa and have to file separately). Since she does not work, we figure the income taxation would be lower in her name (is this correct?).

Comment

Put in in Vanguard (VTSAX) and move on.

Comment

This is a bit more complicated since you are moving back to Canada after residency. I know you are planning on speaking with someone that has some expertise in this area but I'd still be hard pressed to believe not putting it into a pre-tax or Roth account wouldn't be better than a taxable account in this situation. Again, your situation is a unique one that not many here likely have experience with.

Comment

you definitely need an emergency fund.

Comment

Aren't you using it to buy a Tesla?

Comment

Haha. No, I am going to drive 2015 Honda to the group before buying anything new.

Comment

Working...
                    X