Home Design Programs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home Design Programs

Does anyone have experience using the Home Designer products by Chief Architect for the initial planning stages of a new home build? Or any other recommendations on comparable programs? The cost to buy the Home Designer Pro is $495 and our intention would be to use it to play around with various designs before meeting with an architect/builder.

I don't have any experience with that but I do have some experience with other software where I design houses for customers. Here's a quick shot of my most recent design. Keep in mind that this extensive design only took me about 2 hours to complete (just to give you an idea of the power of this software).

Click image for larger version  Name:	House Software.png Views:	0 Size:	491.9 KB ID:	235299

As you can see this is not an entry level design. The most obvious thing that pops out is the red door. This is inspired by my neighbor who has a red door that doesn't match the rest of their house. I can only assume they're fans of M. Night Shyamalan's hit 'The Village'. It's difficult to tell but this is actually a cinder block exterior. It keeps the costs low and the style points high. Other popular features include our patent pending 'Triple Peak Roof'*. I'm actually confident a patent is not necessary as I don't see any other designer being this bold. This design also displays our standard dollar sign shutters on the first floor. The second floor can be upgraded but that will cost extra ($$$$$$$$ in this case). The ability to do something like this will only set you back $490 which I think you'll find a great deal when compared to Home Designer Pro.

*There is a problem with roof drainage but the stunning visual outweighs this issue.

Note: I don't have any experience with what you're looking for, and for that, I apologize.
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by CordMcNally View Post
      I don't have any experience with that but I do have some experience with other software where I design houses for customers. Here's a quick shot of my most recent design. Keep in mind that this extensive design only took me about 2 hours to complete (just to give you an idea of the power of this software).

Click image for larger version Name:	House Software.png Views:	0 Size:	491.9 KB ID:	235299

As you can see this is not an entry level design. The most obvious thing that pops out is the red door. This is inspired by my neighbor who has a red door that doesn't match the rest of their house. I can only assume they're fans of M. Night Shyamalan's hit 'The Village'. It's difficult to tell but this is actually a cinder block exterior. It keeps the costs low and the style points high. Other popular features include our patent pending 'Triple Peak Roof'*. I'm actually confident a patent is not necessary as I don't see any other designer being this bold. This design also displays our standard dollar sign shutters on the first floor. The second floor can be upgraded but that will cost extra ($$$$$$$$ in this case). The ability to do something like this will only set you back $490 which I think you'll find a great deal when compared to Home Designer Pro.

*There is a problem with roof drainage but the stunning visual outweighs this issue.

Note: I don't have any experience with what you're looking for, and for that, I apologize.
      This is golden! What a steal at only $490!!

Comment

“Expect your architect fees to be more expensive than you think.”.
        Did you buy the $1m lot?
        Don’t buy the “Triple Peak Roof”. That is a discontinued model. It was the result of Twin Peaks having a “buy two get one free” sale.

I think you are making a mistake. The time this would take would be extremely long and limiting.
        Your goal should be the look and style approach.
        A picture is worth a thousand words.
        A rough sketch is worth at least 500 words.
        The end product will be a set of blue prints from the architect. You want to communicate the look and feel as well as features and functions. Mix and match visuals is a better approach to communicating the desired results.

I would also suggest requesting access to sets of blueprints before the meeting. Mix and match, that set of pages is what you are paying for.

Comment

I would meet with the builder first. They may have home designs already that you could customize. Many builders hate when customers bring in their own designs or outside architects designs as it creates a lot of unnecessary work for them to try to figure out the plans. It adds cost and has room for error. Find the builder architect combo you want to use. Have them do the free work for you and show you some designs then customize from there...

Comment

Originally posted by Tim View Post
            “Expect your architect fees to be more expensive than you think.”.
            Did you buy the $1m lot?
            Don’t buy the “Triple Peak Roof”. That is a discontinued model. It was the result of Twin Peaks having a “buy two get one free” sale.

I think you are making a mistake. The time this would take would be extremely long and limiting.
            Your goal should be the look and style approach.
            A picture is worth a thousand words.
            A rough sketch is worth at least 500 words.
            The end product will be a set of blue prints from the architect. You want to communicate the look and feel as well as features and functions. Mix and match visuals is a better approach to communicating the desired results.

I would also suggest requesting access to sets of blueprints before the meeting. Mix and match, that set of pages is what you are paying for.
            Thank you for the response...yes, we did purchase the 1 million dollar lot. Eager start designing but not going to start the process until later in 2021-waiting to see how Covid and the election affect us financially. After thinking about it more and your comments (the Triple Peak Roof is a very tempting offer though if I do say so myself), we are going to just hold off on trying to come up with a design until we actually work with an architect who I presume will know more than us

Comment

Not a thing wrong exploring the crap for your design preferences and tastes. Floor plans layouts and views need to fit your desires.
              Double sinks or sinks on opposite walls? Don’t spend time laying out the built in. Do you want glass block or a skylight. Give up some space for more closet? The clear communication of the design concept lets the architect improve upon it.
              The comment about the working relationship between the builder/architect/buyer is important.

Use the builder and architect as resources for refining your design concepts. Hint: This isn’t the first house, pitfalls to avoid are many. Like Three Peak Roof and Red Doors. Your builder has a list of suppliers, go look at the 8ft double with stained glass inserts. He is going to ask you which doors.

Your path was an architectural product, not design. Consider a blank canvas: What would be your dream house? That builder and architect probably have a list of must haves and avoids. That is valuable.

Comment

Working...
              X