To buy or not to buy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IlliniGopher View Post
    Lol. Don’t look at the eclipse without eye protection.

**Prolonged stare directly at the eclipse**
    Easy gopher.

Comment

Originally posted by SportsmedMD View Post

Easy gopher.
      Consider keeping a tally of additional money spent.
      Hint: by room it adds up, furniture and decorating is room specific.
      Moving and a ton of new stuff “needed”.
      A tally for the need for stuff would be informative a year from now.

Comment

Originally posted by SportsmedMD View Post

Easy gopher.
        I have been on this forum for 5+ years and the pattern always remains the same. "Long time lurker, new poster" says "should I buy this home?" Generally they can, but not always the wise choice. Then the person buys anyway. So why post to begin with? I wish you the best of luck. You'll generally be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by IlliniGopher View Post

I have been on this forum for 5+ years and the pattern always remains the same. "Long time lurker, new poster" says "should I buy this home?" Generally they can, but not always the wise choice. Then the person buys anyway. So why post to begin with? I wish you the best of luck. You'll generally be fine.
          I'd be really curious to see some stats behind financial-based forums and recommendations. I'd be willing to bet about 90% of people go against the recommendations they were seeking. It's almost pointless to answer these questions as the OP's opinion is almost always made up before they post.

Comment

Originally posted by CordMcNally View Post

I'd be really curious to see some stats behind financial-based forums and recommendations. I'd be willing to bet about 90% of people go against the recommendations they were seeking. It's almost pointless to answer these questions as the OP's opinion is almost always made up before they post.
            I wholeheartedly agree. I myself have even gone against the advice of paying off your loans or your house early. It's an emotional decision and not mathematically logical, but it's the catharsis I want. So I guess I am the pot calling the kettle black by not following the forum's advice.

I just thought it was funny that the OP's update was a one liner saying that they bought the house soon after the original post. Makes you wonder it was probably in the works already, or near it. Also there is usually some acknowledgement that, yea it's not the right choice but they love the house. Fine, we all do it. They'll be fine, just kind of made me smirk when I read it. I acknowledge it was snarky, kind of a diet-Fat Little Pig comment...

Comment

Rent.
              wait two years on the job.
              don’t rush and get fooled with these low interest rates.
              want is different than a need.

it sounds like you want to buy. Smart financial move would be to wait and rent. But you only live once and can take a risk if you’re that confident on the job.

good luck!

Comment

Nothing like a bun in the oven to make buying a home even more stressful.

If you have worked at your new job long enough to decide you like it a home purchase sounds fine to me.

If you don't buy and rent that's fine too. Had a newborn in a rental home for >2 years while trying to sell my old house for a $100k loss. The rental home was fine.

Comment

Originally posted by zlandar View Post
                  Nothing like a bun in the oven to make buying a home even more stressful.

If you have worked at your new job long enough to decide you like it a home purchase sounds fine to me.

If you don't buy and rent that's fine too. Had a newborn in a rental home for >2 years while trying to sell my old house for a $100k loss. The rental home was fine.
                  I believe OP said it was the first year at his/her job
                  Last edited by IlliniGopher; 11-07-2020, 11:04 AM.

Comment

Whether it’s a new home or an expensive car, some people just want confirmation to rationalize their plan. If two posters out of a couple dozen provide that reinforcement, then they’re good to go.

Hard to predict ahead of time who wants to listen and learn and who has already made up their mind.

Comment

Working...
                    X