estimating monthly costs for a home on physician mortgage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• estimating monthly costs for a home on physician mortgage

I am debating whether or not to rent/buy in an area I know I will stay for at least five years. (significant other accepted to doctorate program there).

Is there a way I can get a ballpark figure of monthly cost of a hypothetical home that meets my budget, like a physician mortgage monthly payment calculator?

Thanks for your advice.

its the same as a regular mortgage payment calculator. you just have <20% down payment.....
    also impossible for us to tell you as you need to account for taxes and insurance which is literally different in every city.

Comment

Just to note, a 5 year doctoral program does not justify a home purchase. It puts it on the lowest rung of potentially being financially justified.

Comment

I see. I will be moving from a high cost of living city to a much lower smaller town. already used to a big chunk of our income (50% of my salary) going to rent, I had assumed I could afford the typical monthly payment for a physican's mortgage loan.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim View Post
          Just to note, a 5 year doctoral program does not justify a home purchase. It puts it on the lowest rung of potentially being financially justified.
          while I agree with this, plenty of 5-year doctoral programs end up being 6, 7, or even longer programs

Comment

Originally posted by psycho305 View Post
            I see. I will be moving from a high cost of living city to a much lower smaller town. already used to a big chunk of our income (50% of my salary) going to rent, I had assumed I could afford the typical monthly payment for a physican's mortgage loan.
            Being able to afford a home and deciding you need to buy a home are not necessarily related.

Comment

I had assumed I could afford the typical monthly payment for a physican's mortgage loan.
              Typical monthly payment is highly variable. And it is only one part of the total cost of home ownership. You will need to provide a lot more information if you want useful answers. The basic rule of thumb is mortgage <2x annual income.

Comment

Originally posted by pierre View Post

Typical monthly payment is highly variable. And it is only one part of the total cost of home ownership. You will need to provide a lot more information if you want useful answers. The basic rule of thumb is mortgage <2x annual income.
                I will be doing a year of fellowship (with moonlighting) and then transition to attending. The house budget I have in mind is definitely <2 and is probably closer to 1X annual income of attending salary.

Comment

I don’t think the question is can you afford the payment. I empathize, but still in “training” that deferred gratification is wise.
                  The concept is to purchase a house once the location you will actually live and work permanently that meets your needs.
                  Rule of thumb would be 2 years employed where you want to live and work,
                  Mortgage at 2x gross is the max mortgage ROT.

The 5 years is basically the minimum amount of time that the costs of a mortgage can pay benefits, not a buy vs rent.

Better choice might be to invest ir save for a downpayment when you need it.

Comment

If you can get solid inputs, this one is pretty good. It was spot on for us. https://www.nerdwallet.com/mortgages...rtgage-payment

Comment

This site was helpful for me...
                      The choice between buying a home and renting one is among the biggest financial decisions that many adults make.

Comment

Originally posted by Otolith View Post
                        This site was helpful for me...
                        I really like the NYTimes website calculator. But it was made before the new tax laws. Is there a way to make it take into account the change in taxes and mortgage interest deduction?

Comment

Good axiom to remember: the monthly rent on an apartment/condo is the MAXIMUM you will pay; the monthly rent on a house is the MINIMUM you will pay.

Need to do some basic math and calculate your expected costs: closing costs for house first off, then mortgage, interest, property tax, home insurance, HOA, maintenance, and other things I'm sure I'm forgetting.

Comment

Working...
                          X