down payment or loans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• down payment or loans

My husband and I are both in practice, not our first jobs, and we're looking to buy our first home. We're looking at homes around 1.3-1.5x our gross income. We've been saving for a down payment for awhile, and we have more than enough to put down 20% for a jumbo loan. But I also realized that we have more than enough to pay off a good chunk of our loans (we have about 230k left at an average of 3.8%). I'm starting to think we'd be better off putting that money towards the loans and only putting down 5-10% on the house and getting a physicians mortgage. Does that seem like a reasonable idea? Whatever we don't pay of the loans now would be paid off within the next 5 years (probably about 40k, which I refinanced through SoFi last year at 3.5%).

It depends on your lender; let the interest rate decide for you. If you can get the same rate for a 15 or 30 year mortgage with a 5-10% down physician loan as you would with a typical 20% down, then sure, pay off some student loans and go the physician mortgage loan. If you can get a better rate with a typical 20% down loan, then do that and pay off your loans as you can.

Just how I would approach it.

Comment

You're trading debt for debt either way.  Remember that your mortgage debt has deductions your student debt doesn't.

If by "good chunk" you mean half, then assuming you've got $115,000 sitting around, you're looking at a $575,000 house (makes sense since jumbos start at $417,000), then your income is about $380,000, putting you in the 33% bracket?  Meaning if you're getting (for the sake of example) a 3.6% rate, then your "real" rate is 2.4%, since mortgage interest is tax-deductible.

So you'd basically be trading 3.8% short-term debt for 2.4% long-term debt if you decided to use some of what was slated to be a down payment for your loans instead.

You're maxing your tax-advantaged retirement accounts, right?  Just making sure there aren't better uses for the lump sums.

Comment

Agree with DMFA. Its a better debt to have, but make sure its the optimal choice.

Comment

Also check out the rates for physician loans.  I have found a few companies where the interest rate on a 10% doctor loan is lower than the rates for conventional loans, and the rates for a jumbo doctor loan are lower, still.

Comment

We used student loans as a down payment, so there's that.   

Comment

Personally I would pay off the student loans first and see if you can get 100% financing through a physician loan program.  Student loans are inherently more risky (not to say that you aren't a good investment), but there are more protections with mortgage debt that you don't get with student loans.  Certainly part of that depends on making a good decision on home purchase and not overpaying in your market.  Beyond that, it's just a math question with the rates.

Comment

We were in the almost exact position about a year ago.  We chose to spend the money on a down payment of 20%.  We flirted with the idea of a 0% or 5% doctor's loan but decided we didn't want to be underwater in the house at any point.  Now we have a 15 year mortgage of $370k remaining at 2.875% and just under 200k of student loans with 60k at 3.5% (3 years left) and 135K at 2.4% variable (4.5 years left).  While I'd like to sit here and say that the loan payoff would have been wiser, I have to admit that driving 15-20 minutes to work instead of 45 minutes has made a huge difference in my life.  When I get out from this night shift I won't be nearly as worried about crashing on the way home...

We didn't use all of our house downpayment fund either, but unfortunately a few life things happened and the remainder was not funneled to loan payoff.  We're still on track to pay off early and I don't lose any sleep over the decision we made.  If you don't mind where you are living and your landlord isn't jacking up your rent like ours was, then I could see paying off the student loans before buying the house as a solid option.

Comment

Personally I would pay off the student loans first and see if you can get 100% financing through a physician loan program.  Student loans are inherently more risky (not to say that you aren’t a good investment), but there are more protections with mortgage debt that you don’t get with student loans.  Certainly part of that depends on making a good decision on home purchase and not overpaying in your market.  Beyond that, it’s just a math question with the rates.

I like the idea, but I wouldnt pay anything off before securing the mortgage, it never hurts to have a nice cushion in your savings account and makes the bank feel secure. Even if you dont plant to use it for a down payment. After things have closed then do what seems best, it will make everyone less twitchy.

Comment

We offer an amazing Doctor Loan Program. We can do 100% up to $750,000 with no PMI and the rates are very competitive. We also offer higher debt ratios due to student loan debt.

Justin Roth

Synovus Mortgage / Synovus Bank

Comment

Working...
                    X