No announcement yet.

What % of your Income goes to Mortgage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What % of your Income goes to Mortgage?

Edit, rephrased: how much of your gross income goes towards housing?

Please indicate if you're responding at resident / fellow salary. Otherwise I assume it's attending.

Background: we've been looking off and on for about 3 years. At first I was looking <1 to 1x income but none of them were good enough for the doctor. Now that we're about 2 years into attending salary I've opened it up to upwards of 2x, preferably 1.8x and he balks at the price. I get it, but I'm not the one nixing cheaper homes. Good thing I like our rental.
    Last edited by Tyche; 03-08-2020, 05:16 PM.

approximately 11% post tax dollars

Comment

Comment

7.5% of post-tax dollars but that does not include property taxes...
        If you include property taxes then it increases to 9.6%
        Does not include homeowners insurance either... which is hefty due to fire risk in my area. (Would be up around 11.6% with insurance and taxes). Much less if we were talking pre-tax dollars...(back down to 7.75% for everything, if using pre-tax dollars).

Comment

Originally posted by Peds View Post
          You're renting, right?

Comment

Originally posted by SLC OB View Post

You're renting, right?
            Yup.

Comment

The metric you discuss is mortgage/gross income.
              But your question is % of income going TO mortgage.
              Regardless, congratulations you have the doctor boxed in. Enjoy your apartment and your downpayment might grow to a cash purchase. Brilliant!

Comment

Originally posted by Tim View Post
                The metric you discuss is mortgage/gross income.
                But your question is % of income going TO mortgage.
                Regardless, congratulations you have the doctor boxed in. Enjoy your apartment and your downpayment might grow to a cash purchase. Brilliant!
                I think my question is clear even if it wasn't worded correctly ?

Comment

not renting

Comment

0, paid off.

7% pre-tax when we last had a residential mortgage, based on required fixed monthly payments. To pay off within 4 years, we paid a lot more, around 30%.

Comment

Originally posted by mapplebum View Post

I think my question is clear even if it wasn't worded correctly ?
                      Not really. Gross is the correct metric, and 2 ppl responded post tax....what taxes?

Comment

Originally posted by Peds View Post

Not really. Gross is the correct metric, and 2 ppl responded post tax....what taxes?
                        Yea I assumed the understanding was gross and if renting, sure, say what %. Same with those that are paid off.

Comment

9% principle and interest over gross.
                          also it is a 15 year mortgage. If I went with a 30 year it would have been 6%.

Comment

48 yo AIM: 60yo retirement

Income: 25k
                            $ to retirement fund this year: 4.5k - down from 6k previous years since now FI
                            taxes: 9k
                            take home: 11.5k

Mortgage 3k
                            Insurance + taxes - 1.25k

so math on takehome:
                            4.25k/11.5 = 48% of take home

--Skewed since we also have income flow coming from 2ndary sources (Real estate and 2ndary business) -- so that's another ~4-6k/monthly coming in that we've increased spending burn to accommodate

Comment

Our 15-year mortgage payment (PITI) is about 5% of gross income. (Which gross, business income or AGI? ) In general I do feel like it's a great idea to buy as little house as you can get away with/be happy with, put as much down as you can afford, and get the shortest mortgage term you can afford. Housing (and its maintenance, upkeep, and furnishing) is not a high-priority way for us, personally, to divert funds away from retirement saving.

I also think that income multipliers are a pointless way to judge affordability. I think I've made this analogy before, but it's like the three months salary rule for engagement rings. Even if it weren't a construct of the diamond industry, it would completely fall apart at high incomes. I would SHOOT my husband before I'd accept a piece of jewelry worth even one WEEK of income. There's a range within which "if you can afford more buy more because it's value-added." Above that it's 100% a luxury purchase that needs to be gauged alongside your own family's priorities and trade-offs. Let's say that limit is around 150% of the median home price in your area. Above that price point, quit talking about income multipliers and start talking about making a six-figure purchase plus interest. (IMO!)
                              Last edited by spotty_dog; 03-08-2020, 05:41 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X