Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

May need to sell house soon or within a few years? Can I contact a realtor now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• May need to sell house soon or within a few years? Can I contact a realtor now?

With a hospital merger throwing my hospital-based physician group's contract into jeopardy, I'm keeping my ears open about other possible jobs and may need to relocate.  While in theory, we should have about a year left on our hospital contract, the way things are going with other groups, they may just decide to cut ties with us with 90 day's notice.

I was considering consulting with a realtor for a walk through to get some general idea about what my house would likely sell at, how long it would take to sell, and what improvements they would suggest making that would add value to the home or increase its liklihood of selling.

Am I out of line calling someone if I may not decide to list for up to a year or maybe (unlikely) at all if something miraculously works out?  Would they consider it a waste of time...or is it something they charge for?  Would they not give any advice until I decided to list?  While I may stay on with the new administration in the short term, I can't honestly see this job being decent in the long term.

With a hospital merger throwing my hospital-based physician group’s contract into jeopardy, I’m keeping my ears open about other possible jobs and may need to relocate.  While in theory, we should have about a year left on our hospital contract, the way things are going with other groups, they may just decide to cut ties with us with 90 day’s notice.

I was considering consulting with a realtor for a walk through to get some general idea about what my house would likely sell at, how long it would take to sell, and what improvements they would suggest making that would add value to the home or increase its liklihood of selling.

Am I out of line calling someone if I may not decide to list for up to a year or maybe (unlikely) at all if something miraculously works out?  Would they consider it a waste of time…or is it something they charge for?  Would they not give any advice until I decided to list?  While I may stay on with the new administration in the short term, I can’t honestly see this job being decent in the long term.

Have you ever thought of doing a for sale by owner (FSBO) and keeping the 6% commission?  There was a study done showing that FSBO homes stay on the market less than real estate homes. You can see the approximate value of the home by checking similar home sales in your neighborhood via REDFIN or Zillow. I wouldn't put your house on the market until you're ready to sell. The longer the house is on the market the less likely it is for buyers to see it as a good deal.

Comment

Yeah.  I wasn't going to put it on the market just yet, just looking for someone to give advice on what I should do to improve its sale-ability.  I've put off doing some things for a few years (painting, a few areas of floor covering, driveway/front walk), since I could see this situation with the hospital coming.

Comment

Redfin is another option if they are in your area.  I have used them for my last few purchases.  They provide a rebate when used on the buyer's side, and I believe have lower rates for the seller.

Comment

Most people talk to a couple of agents before deciding who to list with, so I don't think it's a problem. I'd probably frame it as planning on selling in 3-12 months rather than necessarily pointing out you hope not to sell at all! Obviously if you talk to them now and like them you are likely to use them in the future, so it's still business for them in the end.

Comment

Bummer about the job situation.

There's nothing wrong with chatting with an agent about the current market. They should be able to show you some comps.

I'll echo what was said above by benign_user. My last buy and sell were both FSBO, no realtors for either party. Saved a lot of money, and the Title company can take care of the details once you've agreed on a price. It may be a good idea to involve a lawyer, although I haven't had any problems without one.

Best,

-PoF

Comment

Working...
            X