Outside the box ways to obtain health Insurance for Self-Employed Physician

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outside the box ways to obtain health Insurance for Self-Employed Physician

I was wondering if anyone uses or knows of anyone who has any outside the box ideas rather than just going on the online marketplaces for health insurance for my family. I am a 1099 independent contractor and all the online plans are extremely expensive. Some of the things I was thinking of include joining a professional organization to obtain group health insurance or possibly working a part-time job that would offer me healthcare insurance. If anybody does either of these or has alternative ideas, I would love to hear them!

The problem is, not many part-time jobs offer health insurance. Starbucks does, and a lot of young people work there for that reason, but I doubt being a barista is one of your goals. Any chance your spouse plans on getting a job with benefits?

An HDHP/HSA combo should lower your costs - have you checked out the bronze plan?
    Working to protect good doctors from bad advisors. Fox & Co CPAs, Fox & Co Wealth Mgmt. 270-247-6087

Comment

Go through all the regulatory hoops to start your own insurance company, and self-insure.   

Comment

Starting next year, you'll have some additional options that were previously associated with the ACA penalty for non-compliant plans. You could opt for a catastrophic plan as soon as October of 2018.

Comment

Any updates for this string for self-employed physician?

Comment

check with various societies that you are or could be a member of

our state medical association has a group plan available for small groups but not sure if available to solos

ask colleagues whether they’re solo or private

ask hospitals you work at

call insurance agents

Comment

Most hospitals offer benefits for part time employees which in my area varies from 0.5FTE to 0.8FTE although unfortunately not as many are offering them for the 20h a week commitment any more. They cost a little more but are generally good insurance plans. The group status for STD, LTD and life insurance depending on your health can be nice perks also.

Comment

Working...
              X