Self pay vs Insurance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Self pay vs Insurance

Hi, We currently have HSA insurance with $5685/11370 deductible plan. I was wondering if it would be cheaper to pay for most medical expense as self pay (without submitting to insurance) ? If so, can the expenses still be submitted to insurance so it counts toward the deducible? Thanks

I dont get it, it should be the same until the deductible is met. If they arent submitted they wont count so that doesnt make much sense.

Comment

I think you're asking if you can negotiate your own bills with a hospital or provider, and then submit those expenses to your insurance?

Comment

I am asking if doctors would chatge less if we paid without using insurance . Or is the insurance negociated rate lower? If, paying without insurance is more cost advantages, can we still submit the cost to insurance so it counts against oir deductible. Thanks

Comment

I am asking if doctors would chatge less if we paid without using insurance . Or is the insurance negociated rate lower? If, paying without insurance is more cost advantages, can we still submit the cost to insurance so it counts against oir deductible. Thanks

How do you plan to make a charge count against your deductible that wouldn't otherwise count against your deductible?  Are you talking about paying for preventive care visits, which are just about the only thing HDHPs are allowed to cover before you meet your deductible and it starts paying coinsurance?

Honestly, if you negotiated lower rates which you then submitted to your insurance, wouldn't that count *less* towards your deductible?

Comment

We have high deductible insurance. If we go to see a doctor and have the option of putting it through the insurance or pay as if we have no insurance, which would be lower cost. In both cases, we would have to pay the full amount becuase of high deductable. Do healthcare providers offer a better pricing to those who are willing not to use insurance and get paid right away. Or are they bound by insurance companies to charge a higher price than the so called negociated rate??? Thanks

Comment

We have high deductible insurance. If we go to see a doctor and have the option of putting it through the insurance or pay as if we have no insurance, which would be lower cost. In both cases, we would have to pay the full amount becuase of high deductable. Do healthcare providers offer a better pricing to those who are willing not to use insurance and get paid right away. Or are they bound by insurance companies to charge a higher price than the so called negociated rate??? Thanks

In theory they should, but because most have near zero experience with it, theyve never thought to make a better cash pay schedule and its often more expensive. Drives me crazy, such low hanging fruit. We paid cash for a couple months.

Comment

The two times I've pad cash for the doctor's visit, I've paid less. I was told this explicitly after seeing the doc, right before I paid for services.

I'd recommend you simply ask the office/billing staff once you get to/have concluded your appointment. In my experience, they're pretty honest.

Comment

Only way to find out is to ask your doc.  Or rather, the nurse or secretary who does the billing.  Some offices do a cash discount.  Some don't.

But what I know to be the truth, is that virtually no doctor, nurse, secretary, receptionist, insurance rep on the phone, etc. etc. ever knows how much something is going to cost.

This is the nature of the beast and the third-party-payor system.  High-ded plans just add more layers to the complexity.

Comment

Heh. For anyone interested in comparing/contrasting advice, here's bogleheads and here's early-retirement. I wonder which forum gives the best answer.

Comment

Thanks for the helpfull replies.

Comment

Working...
                      X