No announcement yet.

Hsa health plan for me if wife has hra?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hsa health plan for me if wife has hra?

My wife works for a large company that offers health insurance for her and discounted rate of $1200/yr. it includes kaiser hmo and an hra that has $300/yr that will reimburse her for copays, contacts, etc.

If she added me, it would cost additional $6000yr.

I can buy a kaiser hsa plan for less just more myself.

Can I get hsa if she has hra element in her health plan?

Would I contribute the ~ $3k or $6k limit each year?

If it is a general purpose HRA that can be used to reimburse any of your qualified medical expenses, you are ineligible for an HSA. An HRA is just like an FSA is this regard. It doesn't matter whether your expenses are reimbursed, only if they can be.

You will have to determine the details of who is eligible for reimbursement. The majority of HRAs and the vast majority of FSAs can be used to reimburse a spouse's qualified medical expenses.

Comment

My wife works for a large company that offers health insurance for her and discounted rate of $1200/yr. it includes kaiser hmo and an hra that has $300/yr that will reimburse her for copays, contacts, etc.

If she added me, it would cost additional $6000yr.

I can buy a kaiser hsa plan for less just more myself.

Can I get hsa if she has hra element in her health plan?

Would I contribute the ~ $3k or $6k limit each year?

You're asking a lot of very important questions lately - which is great, and it's great to have you posting here - but it's hinting at your financial ducks really not being at all in a row, with a lot at stake given your income and your employees.  Your business could probably use a better retirement plan, your tax strategy seems as though it could use improvement, and you might benefit from restructuring your debts.

There are a lot of very knowledgeable and helpful folks posting here who have given you sound advice already.  However, this is probably not sufficient for the extensive and complex factors surrounding the questions you're asking, and I think you would benefit very greatly from sitting down with a professional both for your business and personal books.  You could probably even write the planner fees off as a business expense.

Forgive me if I presume much, as I do admit that like to think I know a lot myself, but from my side of the screen it seems like you need more than some-guy-on-the-internet advice.

Comment

Working...
      X