Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I let insurance inspect home after repairs have been made?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I let insurance inspect home after repairs have been made?

Hail damaged my roof and the repairs have been made, about $28k in total. Insurance covered it and the check has cleared.

Insurance now says I "may" request an inspection and after this inspection "the claim process will be finalized."

In the financial world, I have shot myself in the foot before by volunteering information that was not necessary. Examples include complying with requests (but not demands) to declare income INCREASES prior to needing to do so for PSLF thus raising my monthly payments, and complying with requests (not demands) to volunteer the purchase price of my house to the government prior to its scheduled appraisal thus increasing my property taxes.

I want to see if anyone has experience with requesting or not requesting an inspection of completed home repairs to their home insurance company.

Thanks.

"Hail damaged my roof and the repairs have been made, about $28k in total. Insurance covered it and the check has cleared."

This more of a warranty issue, leans to question of coverage of labor vs materials. The warranty will be based upon any failure being caused by installation or material. The vast majority of failures are due to events or installation. I have never met a roofing contractor agree to a complete rework for any reason due to installation.

If they will pay for an independent inspection, I would take it. If additional repairs or corrections were needed, those would be added for additional work or the corrections fixed under this claim.

Ask for the inspection, I doubt you can inspect the roof and find defects.

Comment

Working...
    X