No announcement yet.

41% increase on my health ins. for 2018 - I'm out! Going with a health sharing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 41% increase on my health ins. for 2018 - I'm out! Going with a health sharing

In 2012 I paid $636 per mo for $5000 deductible. Last year I paid $1,789 for $6,500 inv/$13000 family deduc.

I just got the 2018 renewal notice. $2536/mo. BEFORE the $13000 out of pocket max!!!!

There is a grand total of ONE plan offered in my county.

I'm switching to health sharing ministry.  I know it's not tax deductible and I lose the HSA - but I'm tired of being ripped off!

Wow. How do health sharing ministries work? Never heard of that before. I have the feeling this is only going to get worse...

Comment

Gads ..  How about private business and business plans?   They appear to have more stable pricing.   Those counties with single coverage is just awful.   I don't think allowing interstate options will really open it up either unless those companies are really hard up for business.

Interesting how a Fed government is kicking it to States lately, but also wants to open up interstate health commerce which is traditionally a State right.

Comment

What state are you in?

Comment

I read here earlier that health insurance is inexpensive and predictable. Tell me it ain't so!

Comment

Wow. How do health sharing ministries work?

This is a good overview of Health Care Sharing Ministries

Comment

Rural CO - no competition here.

I have already put a call for a quote on a group plan, but I doubt it will be much less.

Can we offer health ins to partners only or do we have to offer to staff too? I have heard mixed thought on this. We dropped our group plan for staff in 2016 due to a 50% plus increase in premiums.

Comment

Yeah - that’s what Mr. Money Mustache claims. We’ll see how he fares - it will be less than me because he’s close to Denver, but it won’t be cheap.

Comment

Time to get a part time gig with the VA.  30K a year for bronze HSA  is crazy.

Comment

At that price, I'd just go without. Or move.

Comment

Wow! This is actually makes the premise of staying 20 years in the military plausible.. to get permanent free healthcare.

Looks like I'll need more passive cash flow if I am to afford this outrageousness in the civilian world.

Isnt healthcare free or close to free for pretty much any hospital or practice employee?

Comment

Wow! This is actually makes the premise of staying 20 years in the military plausible.. to get permanent free healthcare.

Looks like I’ll need more passive cash flow if I am to afford this outrageousness in the civilian world.

Isnt healthcare free or close to free for pretty much any hospital or practice employee?

Healthcare is not "free" if you own a practice.  Healthcare is not free to most employees because the expense limits raises and bonuses.

Comment

Welcome to Affordabla Care!

Comment

Looks like I’ll need more passive cash flow if I am to afford this outrageousness in the civilian world.

Only place I know that has no premium insurance -- Kaiser.

VA 30% co-share cost;   UC - tiered system ; doc salary for HMO family:  ~$300/mo;   PPO family:  ~$700/mo

Comment

I have one friend who really likes the health sharing ministry thing and another who really didn't.  The former is pretty religious, the latter was not at all.

Those increases are the kind of thing that your legislators need to hear about, local, state, and federal.

For other options, have you tried professional organization or clubs?  My local medical society (used to) offer insurance.

Comment

Working...
                              X