Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Paying too much for family health insurance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paying too much for family health insurance?

I have been paying for my non-working spouse’s health insurance since residency and now as an attending at an institution. I pay on average $450-500 dollars a month for just her to join my plan (mine is free). Now I have a newborn and I’m switched to a family plan where I pay $1000 a month. Is that normal? This is the cost for a $3000 HDHP plan.

We have a similar plan, I assume ($3k individual deductible/$6k family deductible). We pay about $2200/month for a family plan. Our out of pocket in-network max is also our deductible.
    Last edited by CordMcNally; 07-26-2021, 08:41 AM.

Comment

family plan is 1300/month for 10k deductible and 14k max OOP. I bet a 3k deductible would approach 2k/month. yes, normal.

Comment

Have you considered selling a family member?

Comment

Originally posted by Craigslist View Post
          Have you considered selling a family member?
          Hadn’t thought of that. Just seeing what’s happened to the housing and used car markets, there might be bubble. Have you got any reliable links?

Comment

People should factor this into their employment contracts in terms of comparing apples to apples. To put it in perspective a $1800/mo premium probably covers all premiums for that plan and your employer (assuming not an owner) is not paying anything. HDHP premiums will typically be lower from what I’ve seen.

Comment

Our health insurance premiums run from around $900/month for an individual up to about $2200/month for a family. We cover about 90% of the cost for employees and also max out their HSA. It isn't an insignificant benefit and, so far, premiums have really only gone one direction.

Comment

Originally posted by CordMcNally View Post
                Our health insurance premiums run from around $900/month for an individual up to about $2200/month for a family. We cover about 90% of the cost for employees and also max out their HSA. It isn't an insignificant benefit and, so far, premiums have really only gone one direction.
                That’s pretty nice.

Comment

Premium for family is $2200 and employer pays roughly $1000 of that.

Comment

Working...
                  X