Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Poll: How much individual disability insurance do you carry?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poll: How much individual disability insurance do you carry?

Curious as to your coverage. Feel free to comment on coverage compared to current income etc.
    $0 I am financially independent and/or retired.
    7.55%
    $0 for some other reason
    3.77%
    $1-5K monthly
    16.98%
    $6-10K monthly
    28.30%
    $11-15K monthly
    24.53%
    $16-20K monthly
    11.32%
    $21-25K monthly
    5.66%
    $26-30K monthly
    1.89%
    $31-35K monthly
    0%
    >$35K monthly
    0%

For surgeons who is willing to share, I’m curious to hear how much your annual premiums are for your coverage? Mine is $4500 a year for just over $10k/mo own occupation benefit.

Is it ever advised to circle back to your agent later to see if they can get you a better rate?

Comment

Originally posted by ObgynMD View Post
      For surgeons who is willing to share, I’m curious to hear how much your annual premiums are for your coverage? Mine is $4500 a year for just over $10k/mo own occupation benefit.

Is it ever advised to circle back to your agent later to see if they can get you a better rate?
      My spouse's ~11k policy is ~$4300

Comment

Yes, things change so it never hurts to check. In addition, your needs change, an example might be in training or shortly thereafter maybe you needed a 90 day waiting period but now you could afford to wait 180 days, that could be another 16% discount for which you can put those premium dollars back in your pocket.
        Scott Nelson-Archer, CLU, ChFC
        281-770-8080 Direct / [email protected]

Comment

18k/mo for $6,500/yr. Own occupation.

Comment

$1900 for 5k a month with 180 day waiting period, option to buy another 3k/month coverage.

Comment

$19.5k benefit per month, own occupation with 90 day elimination period for ~$9k per year.

Comment

Zippo, FI and working in Career 2.0

Comment

Zero.
                  I have never had DI and 10 years into practice I don’t regret it. But I don’t advise other to do as I do.

Comment

Originally posted by runfast00 View Post
                    Zero.
                    I have never had DI and 10 years into practice I don’t regret it. But I don’t advise other to do as I do.
                    well if you have at least 20k of an emergency fund, then you are self-insuring for a van down by the river with SWR for beans and ramen.
                    “. . . And the LORD spake, saying “First shalt thou take out the Holy 401k. Then shalt thou save to 20%, no more, no less. 20% shall be the number thou shalt save, and the number of the saving shall be 20%. 25% shalt thou not save, neither save thou 15%, excepting that thou then proceed to 20%. 30% is right out . . .””

Comment

10k month own occupation, $4300 year

Comment

$7.8k/year for $25k/month benefit

Comment

How does everyone take in to account their employer provided disability coverage? My approach has been to just ignore it, but that’s probably not wise either.

Comment

We encourage the families we work with to envision a full disability during the planning process. Then to compare what coverage they need (considering taxation depending on whether premiums are paid pre or post tax) to :
                            maintain their expected lifestyle
                            save for future large needs (educational costs for children, etc.)
                            and the large amount of savings they need to have accumulated for when the insurance stops paying benefits (usually age 65).

For most physicians, they need to buy the maximal amount allowed until they have accumulated significant capital of their own. A good goal is to not need disability or life insurance before age 60 for most.

Comment

I have a crappy Unum policy that pays $4000/mo and costs $1100 per year. But i was confident in early FI, and i knew my first employer offered an additional crappy Unum group policy for free, and with SS i felt adequately protected. Now that I'm FI I'm debating dropping it but i think karma argues no.

Comment

Working...
                              X