No announcement yet.

Considering USAA. Looking for opinions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Considering USAA. Looking for opinions.

Current PGY-3 and just found out that I am eligible for USAA due to family in the military. I have yet to compare prices for insurance or any of the other services, but I was wondering what experiences people have had with them in the past?

-How are their auto or homeowner's insurance rates compared to other options?

-What is their service and track record like compared to some of their competitors?

-What other services do you take advantage of other than their insurance offerings?

I've heard really good things about the company overall and since they are nationwide and I'll be moving after residency, that seems promising. I'm ok paying a little more for better service (as long as it isn't too much of a difference) and the ability to not have to recompare rates every 1-2 years. Thanks!

Good prices and exceptionally good service for the home and auto insurance businesses. We have an umbrella policy with USAA too. Since Chubb got bought out, they're on of the last insurance companies with truly great customer service.

I'd pick USAA over just about any other insurer if they were the same price. You probably will find that they're cheaper than the competition too.

USAA's checking and banking are pretty good. I've used them since undergrad. The investment products are neither good nor bad. I'd go with Vanguard, Fidelity, Schwab, or TD Ameritrade rather than USAA.

USAA's mortgage business offered me a good rate back in 2012, but terrible customer service. I needed to sta on top of them daily for 3-4 weeks to narrowly avoid missing our closing. The customer service was surprisingly bad considering how great their customer service was for their other lines of business.

Comment

I've been with USAA for over a decade now.  overall good experience.  they are a bank that doesn't try to actively screw you.  That being said, if you shop around you are usually able to get lower premiums for insurance.  My local credit union had better mortgage rates so went with them for a mortgage and I use vanguard for my investments instead of them.  Their customer service has been exceptionally good so I'll probably stick with them.

Ally bank gives much better rates on savings so I might choose them if I had to do it over.

Comment

I have gotten several quotes from USAA for insurance and they always come back high.  Maybe I'm doing something wrong.  But I only hear good things about USAA.  Banking is great, and I love their recent 2.5% card.  Investment is OK.

Comment

I've been with USAA for over 30 years, and have had nothing but exceptional service from them.

Comment

USAA is a great company with excellent service - My Uncle used to have his auto and homeowners insurance coverage with them, and their pricing seemed pretty competitive.

I know you didn't ask, but for anyone who is possibly considering USAA for term life insurance, make sure you check www.Term4Sale.com before signing on with USAA. USAA's life insurance rates are not the most competitive and their underwriting is rather tight.

In fact, about a year ago, we replaced a $2MM 20yr Term policy for a Surgical Oncologist who herself was a breast cancer survivor of over 15 years. We ended up saving her about $70/mo for the same coverage that she had taken out through USAA a few years prior to getting in touch with us, so definitely shop around.

See side-by-side comparison below for a 40yo (6/15/1977 DOB) Male in perfect health, no tobacco, $1MM 20yr Term - All rates were taken directly from USAA.com and Term4Sale.com:

Jason P. Veirs - Life and Disability Insurance Broker located in San Diego, CA - Owner of www.InsuranceExperts.com
            Office Direct: (619) 334-2400 | Email: [email protected]

Comment

I also love USAA for customer service.  I have them for car, home, umbrella, and banking.  Life insurance was not super competitive, so passed on them.  And recently moved my emergency fund to Ally because the savings acct rate was 0.9% better (seems like a big deal over 30yrs). I do use them for investing but have some regrets.  Thinking of just opening an account with Vanguard.

Comment

Like: banking, CC (a 2.5% cash back card), auto ins, home ins, great app functionality and UI, customer service

Neutral: life, 529

Dislike: investments (relatively clunky UI, own holdings aren't strong, trade fees)

Comment

I LOVE USAA. I use them for checking/savings/emergency fund/credit card. They have the BEST customer service. Their app for banking is super easy to use and since all my accounts are in one place, it's easy to use their budget app and track all your expenses. When a hurricane hit our house, they allowed us 6 months to pay off our credit card with 0% interest so we could use credit to pay contractors to fix our house instead of waiting until the insurance money came through. That was priceless, we were some of the first people back in our home on our island and we could not have done it without that. I've gotten quotes for mortgage, insurance, etc but their rates have always been higher so never used them for that. But if their quotes are not too different from others, I'd go with them simply because their customer service is the best I've ever experienced.

Comment

I LOVE USAA. I use them for checking/savings/emergency fund/credit card. They have the BEST customer service. Their app for banking is super easy to use and since all my accounts are in one place, it’s easy to use their budget app and track all your expenses. When a hurricane hit our house, they allowed us 6 months to pay off our credit card with 0% interest so we could use credit to pay contractors to fix our house instead of waiting until the insurance money came through. That was priceless, we were some of the first people back in our home on our island and we could not have done it without that. I’ve gotten quotes for mortgage, insurance, etc but their rates have always been higher so never used them for that. But if their quotes are not too different from others, I’d go with them simply because their customer service is the best I’ve ever experienced.

agreed.

Comment

Great service. I have not compared any of their rates in years. They would have to be vastly higher for me to switch.

Comment

I'm a disabled vet, and USAA was one of the only companies willing to write a life insurance policy on me. It was pricey, and while I didn't ultimately buy it through them I appreciate that they didn't immediately tell me to pound sand once they heard I had a VA rating.

Years ago I had a credit card fraud issue in Japan. USAA caught it, reached out to me, and overnighted a new card to my hotel in Tokyo.

Comment

Working...
                        X