Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Health insurance locums

Hi
    i was wondering other than the health exchanges at healthcare.gov, short term insurance, spouse's health insurance, tricare if a veteran, and Christian ministry health insurance are there any other health insurance options for a locums. Creatively speaking blue cross blue shield offers a health plan off the exchange but they make you do labs every 3 to 6 months and the premiums do change. I want insurance for a locums job preferably a high deductible plan that I can couple with my ama hospital indemnity plan. Any ideas? I change insurances at least twice a year? Anyone have experience at the VA as well after how many years working there as a full time employee would I get health insurance after severing employment and a pension
    ​​​​
    ​​​

Bumping. I will simply suggest you do not use the health-share ministries if you want to deduct the SEHI premiums.
    Our passion is protecting clients and others from predatory and ignorant advisors. Fox & Co CPAs, Fox & Co Wealth Mgmt. 270-247-6087

Comment

Originally posted by rick43221 View Post
      Hi, I change insurances at least twice a year?​​​
      I'm not sure how you are changing health insurance so often unless you continually have life events making you eligible for special enrollment.

With any health insurance policy that falls under the jurisdiction of the ACA. You can only change policies at open enrollment unless you qualify for one of the special enrollment exceptions. Even non-qualified health insurance plans ineligible to participate in the marketplace must still follow ACA enrollment rules.

Comment

I just want to reiterate that the Christian ministry programs are not insurance. Just had a patient in the ED a few months ago who came in because of an untoward reaction to an edible. She sent a request for a documentation change saying she never took an edible and that our documentation (mine and the triage nurse’s separate documentation) were incorrect. I had even put in my note the amount that her and her friend said she took and told her to avoid further edibles in the discharge instructions. Her ministry denied paying for the visit for obvious reasons and left her on the hook.

Comment

Originally posted by CordMcNally View Post
          I just want to reiterate that the Christian ministry programs are not insurance. Just had a patient in the ED a few months ago who came in because of an untoward reaction to an edible. She sent a request for a documentation change saying she never took an edible and that our documentation (mine and the triage nurse’s separate documentation) were incorrect. I had even put in my note the amount that her and her friend said she took and told her to avoid further edibles in the discharge instructions. Her ministry denied paying for the visit for obvious reasons and left her on the hook.
          The irony of your post is actually pretty funny. Someone signs up a Christian “insurance” program, uses a drug that the program obviously doesn’t want her to use, gets caught, then wants you to lie with her so that it gets covered.

Comment

Out of curiosity, why the aversion to ACA insurance? Sorry, but with health insurance in this country there are no good options unless you are really poor or over 65.

Comment

Originally posted by HikingDO View Post

The irony of your post is actually pretty funny. Someone signs up a Christian “insurance” program, uses a drug that the program obviously doesn’t want her to use, gets caught, then wants you to lie with her so that it gets covered.
              Maybe the edible was shaped like Jesus...?

Comment

Originally posted by Lithium View Post
                Out of curiosity, why the aversion to ACA insurance? Sorry, but with health insurance in this country there are no good options unless you are really poor or over 65.
                If we ever can’t get insurance through my wife’s work I’ve considered working part time at Starbucks or Costco just for insurance and something to do that’s probably less stressful than surgery.

I would also hope to get free Starbucks drinks or rotisserie chickens.

Comment

If I retire early, because of pre-existing conditions in the family, we may have to consider ACA. It’s scary that so much of your health is dependent on your job

Comment

I get aca insurance because of locums so i kept moving. Aca insurance is good for kaiser and for hdhp for HSA only. I have used aca since it came into existence other than kaiser permanente the insurances are not comparable to the times I did a full time job with the va or IHS. Government insurance options are the best once had a job that at IHS which had a zero deductible and copay. Prior to aca if you were healthy and kept your insurance and never lapsed you could get pretty decent coverage if you were healthy

Comment

Originally posted by Nysoz View Post

If we ever can’t get insurance through my wife’s work I’ve considered working part time at Starbucks or Costco just for insurance and something to do that’s probably less stressful than surgery.

I would also hope to get free Starbucks drinks or rotisserie chickens.
                      Don’t you have to work at least 20 hours a week for that?

My ACA insurance is just under $300 a month right now. The math may be more favorable for you, but I don’t want to spend much time serving lattes at $15 an hour just for that.

Comment

Originally posted by Lithium View Post

Don’t you have to work at least 20 hours a week for that?

My ACA insurance is just under $300 a month right now. The math may be more favorable for you, but I don’t want to spend much time serving lattes at $15 an hour just for that.
                        Yeah I think each of those places require 20 hours a week for health insurance. When I looked at Aca insurance i think it was $1200 a month for my wife and me.

Its been a joke of mine to work at Costco or Chick-fil-A because I love it so much lol. We can easily afford aca insurance but if I did need something to do to pass the time, I have considered it.

Comment

Yeah I think each of those places require 20 hours a week for health insurance. When I looked at Aca insurance i think it was $1200 a month for my wife and me.

Its been a joke of mine to work at Costco or Chick-fil-A because I love it so much lol. We can easily afford aca insurance but if I did need something to do to pass the time, I have considered it.
                          What about part time government job and tricare for life. Those other jobs offer insurance but I am sure the copays in network providers and out of pocket deductibles are probably very high. The other option is get Canadian citizenship for free health insurance they have a tax treaty for Roth IRAS anyways

Comment

Ahhhhh - CFA and the YMCA, w/b a perfect combo.
                            Our passion is protecting clients and others from predatory and ignorant advisors. Fox & Co CPAs, Fox & Co Wealth Mgmt. 270-247-6087

Comment

Originally posted by rick43221 View Post

What about part time government job and tricare for life. Those other jobs offer insurance but I am sure the copays in network providers and out of pocket deductibles are probably very high. The other option is get Canadian citizenship for free health insurance they have a tax treaty for Roth IRAS anyways
                              Great idea but I think the part-time federal benefitted positions are few and far between now. Last I heard you have to work 5 years to secure the portability benefit. Most state physician jobs here are now contractual too.

Comment

Working...
                              X