Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insurance question: DUI

I had a DUI in late 2016.

Our state has a 3 year driving record, which as I understand it anyone can obtain. And a 5 year record which is a bit more of a process. I've been focused on paying down debt, and hadn't given insurance much thought. I realize I need to add disability amongst others.

Can anyone comment as to whether agents check the 3 year or 5 year records?
    How much would the DUI affect rates/insurability?

It goes off the 5 year record in November, so I suppose worst case scenario I can plan to wait and until then to apply.

I believe the companies check 5 years.
    • You need insurance. Auto insurance is prorated, you can cancel the expensive policy whenever you want and get a refund. I suggest after you get cheaper insurance. Talk to your agent.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim View Post
      I believe the companies check 5 years.
      • You need insurance. Auto insurance is prorated, you can cancel the expensive policy whenever you want and get a refund. I suggest after you get cheaper insurance. Talk to your agent.
      I got the impression he was talking about DI or LI

Comment

In the life or disability insurance space it really depends on the carrier, you typically find 1 of 3 questions on the application:
        Have you been convicted of a DUI or DWI in the last 5 years?
        Have you been convicted of a DUI or DWI in the last 10 years?
        Have you ever been convicted of a DUI or DWI?

Make sure you work with an agent that knows what they are doing and what is best for you. My advice would be to really read through the question on the application and if it is going to trigger a 'yes' answer I would probably stay away from that carrier until the answer is 'no'. Most of the time that 'yes' answer to that question is an automatic decline so why go through the process, have that on the MIB and then forever more have to answer 'yes' to the question of "have you ever been declined, postponed or modified on an application for insurance".
        Scott Nelson-Archer, CLU, ChFC
        281-770-8080 Direct / [email protected]

Comment

I had one of our clerks pull this together for you as to the question of DUI/DWI and Disability:
          Ameritas: Has any person proposed for coverage: Been convicted of a moving traffic violation, had any traffic accidents, or had a driver’s license revoked or suspended within the past five years?

Principal: In the last five years, have you been in a motor vehicle accident, been charged with driving while intoxicated, or had more than one moving violation?

Ohio National: Have you: Within the last five years, been charged with or convicted of any motor vehicle moving violations or had your drivers license suspended or revoked? ( If “Yes,” details must include date of violation, description of violation, and penalty.)

Guardian: Within the past 5 years, have you ever: pled guilty to, pled no contest to, or been convicted of reckless driving, driving while impaired or intoxicated, or any other moving violation; had your license suspended or revoked; or been involved in any accident in which you were found to be at fault?

Mass Mutual: Has the proposed insured: Been convicted of operating a motor vehicle while under the influence of alcohol or drugs within the last 5 years?

The Standard: In the last 5 years, have you had your driver’s license suspended or revoked; or have you been convicted of 3 or more moving violation; or have you been convicted of reckless driving, driving while impaired or driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol?

These are the questions of today but that does not mean they won't change these questions tomorrow or they won't change based on the state a specific person lives in but in general this is what you would be dealing with.
          Scott Nelson-Archer, CLU, ChFC
          281-770-8080 Direct / [email protected]

Comment

Working...
          X