Covid-19 Vaccine and Disability Claims

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Covid-19 Vaccine and Disability Claims

After having been asked by a few folks last week about what if they get sick from the COVID-19 vaccine? We decided to just go directly to the source for the answer and inquired with the carriers, specifically the claims department. I just had a conversation with the head of claims for one of the big disability carriers to confirm that if someone gets sick from the COVID-19 vaccine will that be a covered claim and the answer is yes. Just thought I would share the WCI community since these things are top of mind right now.
    Scott Nelson-Archer, CLU, ChFC
    303-953-0263 Direct / [email protected]

Originally posted by Scott at MD Financial Services View Post
    After having been asked by a few folks last week about what if they get sick from the COVID-19 vaccine? We decided to just go directly to the source for the answer and inquired with the carriers, specifically the claims department. I just had a conversation with the head of claims for one of the big disability carriers to confirm that if someone gets sick from the COVID-19 vaccine will that be a covered claim and the answer is yes. Just thought I would share the WCI community since these things are top of mind right now.
    So, since many of us are in the group that encourages/strongly recommends it because of our jobs, would that be in addition to workers' comp?

Not that I anticipate any probs....

Comment

Originally posted by Scott at MD Financial Services View Post
      sorry you mean if someone has a disabling reaction such as GBS from the vaccine?
      why would it be treated differently from any other vaccine?

Comment

Originally posted by G View Post

So, since many of us are in the group that encourages/strongly recommends it because of our jobs, would that be in addition to workers' comp?

Not that I anticipate any probs....
        Typically individual contracts don't have an SIS rider on them so if that is the case then, yes it would be in addition to worker's comp claim. Your employer contract would not be in addition 99.9% of the time, you have to read the 'income benefit offset provision'.

Comment

Originally posted by Peds View Post

sorry you mean if someone has a disabling reaction such as GBS from the vaccine?
          why would it be treated differently from any other vaccine?
          Correct and I agree but with how weird 2020 was and with the issues that every industry has faced I just wanted confirmation. Since I have been asked that question probably 8-10 times I figured making a post about it would make sense for a lot of folks who might have that lingering thought/question.

Comment

Thanks, I had that question too

Comment

Working...
            X