Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• disability insurance for pregnancy

Hello,
    I had a question about maternity coverage/Short term disability.
    We are planning on pregnancy next year. I am not currently pregnant and finishing up my final year residency and then moving to a different state. New employer won't offer disability for the first year. So I am stuck now and planning to get short/long term disability individually.

I have researched many hours unable to find a reasonable approach.
    1. Going to call big companies listed here on WCI and see if they cover normal pregnancy. Any of you folks were in similar situation?
    2. What about hospital indemnity or gap insurance which I know is not disability insurance but can pay some lumsum amount after delivery. Anybody used this when they didn't get disability coverage? Or may be both?I do have good health insurance but indemnity/Gap coverage is what somebody else suggested.

I will also call agents listed on WCI for further help but any inputs from nice folks here would be greatly appreciated.

Short-term disability policies pay a weekly benefit when you are disabled following the elimination period. You may wish to take three months off work to bond with the baby, but the short-term disability insurance policy will only pay benefits if you are disabled due to the pregnancy.”

You need your own LTDI regardless.
    https://www.whitecoatinvestor.com/wh...ity-insurance/

Comment

Tim is right, short term disability only kicks in if there is a disability. Certainly there are folks that get told to spend months on bedrest and that typically is considered a disability but the right to use family leave is not a trigger for a disability payment. Be sure to read the policy that you are buying and keep those terms in mind when you are buying both short term and long term disability plans to make sure the policies are built to meet your expectations at claim time.
      Last edited by Scott at MD Financial Services; 12-02-2020, 08:39 AM.
      Scott Nelson-Archer, CLU, ChFC
      303-953-0263 Direct / [email protected]

Comment

Working...
      X