Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partial medical malpractice insurance policy for moonlighting only?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Partial medical malpractice insurance policy for moonlighting only?

I have a full time academic position covered by an institutional medical malpractice policy. I'm looking into doing some moonlighting, and my institution's policy won't cover it. The amount of moonlighting will be small (maybe one day per month), won't pay much (probably no more than $30k/year), and is very low risk. Does anyone have any experience getting a policy that covers this kind of work, and what are some typical costs? WCI has some blog posts in 2016 but this seems directed to people getting their own primary policy. Are there insurance agents for this or do you call the companies directly? Thanks for any thoughts or suggestions you all can provide!

the moonlighting institution should cover it. otherwise hard pass.

Comment

Thanks Peds. For clarification, the work would be occurring in a small private practice where the other docs are of a different specialty. I'd be providing a new/different service there. I will certainly look into your suggestion. It's not come up in early discussion so I was initially under the impression that my current policy at my primary institution would cover me, but that's not the case. If this is what's customary and expected, I will certainly go this route - thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by churro View Post
        under the impression that my current policy at my primary institution would cover me
        "never" might be too absolute of a word, but that might get pretty close to describing liability coverage applying to outside/unrelated work.

Comment

Working...
        X