65 Life Permanent Life Insurance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 65 Life Permanent Life Insurance

I made a decision 3 years ago to buy a whole life insurance policy that is $2,400 annually. I currently have invested around $7,800 into this program and the cash value and surrender value are $4,212. I have heard a great deal of negative things about permanent life insurance that has a death benefit and cash value. Do I quit paying for this and let the money that is in there currently ride or do I pull the cash value of $4,212 and take a roughly $3,500 hit on my money? Or do I keep investing into it since I am already in? I do not need the money and I am 28 years old and could afford letting it ride until the cash value breaks even on my money which is in about 7-10 years.

Definitely don't put more into it.

The numbers are inconsequential, so whether you let it ride or take the loss won't matter in the long.

Comment

Personally I would pull out the cash value and consider the $3500 loss as tuition in the school of WLI. Continuing the policy until break even means your total return is 0%, don’t fall for the fallacy of spending new money (future premiums) to get caught up. What you’ve paid so far is a sunk cost, time to move on. Take the $2400 cash value plus what you would have paid in future premiums and invest it in your personal accounts whether taxable or retirement. If you need life insurance, get a term policy.

Comment

Aren’t you the same poster who recently asked about buying into a VUL plan? You need to find some new “friends.”

Google “sunk cost fallacy.”

Comment

Originally posted by MaxPower View Post
          Aren’t you the same poster who recently asked about buying into a VUL plan? You need to find some new “friends.”

Google “sunk cost fallacy.”
          Unfortunetely yes. The same "advisor" I was speaking about sold me on this plan 3 years ago. I am starting to see the trend that he "advises" for his own good.

Comment

Originally posted by mboston View Post

Unfortunetely yes. The same "advisor" I was speaking about sold me on this plan 3 years ago. I am starting to see the trend that he "advises" for his own good.
            Ding ding ding!!

Comment

get out of there! if it makes you feel better, I went 7 years into a NWM paid to 65 WLI policy with $1mil benefit, and bought the same for my wife. We lost $50K I myself did a 1035 exchange into a low cost VA because I wanted to recoup that $50k tax free by preserving the cost basis. You on the other hand have such a minimal loss count your blessings you are are not as stupid as me and cash out the policy.

Comment

Originally posted by racelari View Post
                get out of there! if it makes you feel better, I went 7 years into a NWM paid to 65 WLI policy with $1mil benefit, and bought the same for my wife. We lost $50K I myself did a 1035 exchange into a low cost VA because I wanted to recoup that $50k tax free by preserving the cost basis. You on the other hand have such a minimal loss count your blessings you are are not as stupid as me and cash out the policy.
                This policy is as well through NWM. Thank you for the advice! I am jumping ship. My gut was never right about this policy and I never did my research prior so I bought into it.

Comment

“My gut was never right about this policy ”
                  Not sure why you didn’t listen. Sometimes the correct move is to do nothing. Try that. No research required.

Comment

Working...
                  X