Disability CLAIM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disability CLAIM

Hello, I'm a physician in his 40's, who has purchased and maintained a Principle disability policy for the past 10 years. I have recently had worsening of a health condition that interferes with my work. I'm considering filing a claim for disability related to this issue, but have many questions and issues to consider. Who can I trust to discuss these delicate matters with and to not "close any doors?" Understanding the various potential conflicts of interest, can I trust my disability insurance agent to truthfully answer questions as to the likelihood of my claim being accepted, and the overall process and risks? Should I first discuss with an attorney? If so, any recommendations in how to find a qualified attorney in this field?

I dont know who your disability agent is, but I bought my policy from an independent broker. They would be the first person I would go to with questions.

Comment

If this is career ending I would contact an attorney first.

Comment

I have canceled or changed two policies...the agents who sold them had moved on ages before. That might help narrow down your options.

If you are friends with the COS or CMO, you might ask a vague question about attorneys working with disabled docs; obviously this is situation dependent! Your practice attorney and accountant would also likely have some opinions.

Please circle back and update us when you get things sorted out, so that we may all learn.

Comment

Talk to your agent if you think they are sharp and really understand disability, not just how to sell a policy. If you file a claim it will not affect your policy with Principal, they can't cancel anything, change terms, raise rates or anything like that. I think you will find their claims process very fair. If after all of that you don't find it to be fair then hire an attorney but if you do then try to pay them a fee instead of the typical % of your claim.
          Scott Nelson-Archer, CLU, ChFC
          303-953-0263 Direct / [email protected]

Comment

Would be great if WCI have an article about this or if someone has gone through this and can write a guest post.

Comment

Originally posted by Franky View Post
              Hello, I'm a physician in his 40's, who has purchased and maintained a Principle disability policy for the past 10 years. I have recently had worsening of a health condition that interferes with my work. I'm considering filing a claim for disability related to this issue, but have many questions and issues to consider. Who can I trust to discuss these delicate matters with and to not "close any doors?" Understanding the various potential conflicts of interest, can I trust my disability insurance agent to truthfully answer questions as to the likelihood of my claim being accepted, and the overall process and risks? Should I first discuss with an attorney? If so, any recommendations in how to find a qualified attorney in this field?

Similar situation to the original poster Franky. Any update or advice?

Comment

Originally posted by youngDoc View Post
                Would be great if WCI have an article about this or if someone has gone through this and can write a guest post.
                The problem is perspective: policyholder, agent, attorney. Each claim is different. There might be some general recommendations, but each claim is likely unique.
                I think Scott's advice is sound.
                1) Talk to the agent first so you clearly understand your policy. The facts won't change.
                2) Try the claims process.
                3) There is an attorney that handles DI Claims that posts here occasionally. Maybe Scott might reach out and see if he has thoughts.

Comment

We just have always had very good results walking clients through the claims process almost never have any issues. Don’t get me wrong we have had 6-10 fraudulent claims where the doctor client had lied about prior medical claims which at claim time came out and caused major issues but that is relatively rare.
                  Most of the problem cases I have been asked about are typically on employer plans or medical association plans where the terms are just not as strong.
                  Scott Nelson-Archer, CLU, ChFC
                  303-953-0263 Direct / [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by Franky View Post
                    Originally posted by youngDoc View Post
                    Originally posted by RobotDoc View Post
                    Similar situation to the original poster Franky. Any update or advice?
                    This fellow has advertised with me from time to time in the past and is thinking about submitting a guest post for 1Q 2021:

https://schlawpc.com/about/our-team/evan-schwartz/

[email protected]
                    Helping those who wear the white coat get a fair shake on Wall Street since 2011

Comment

Working...
                    X