No announcement yet.

Auto Insurance as a Medical Resident - Switching states

  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Auto Insurance as a Medical Resident - Switching states

    I am currently a medical resident. I moved out of my home state about a year and a half ago. My wife and I kept our license, plates, and insurance in our home state because she was frequently traveling home to see her sick mother (the insurance happened to be significantly cheaper as well). Her mother has unfortunately passed and now that the dust has settled, we are going through a lot of financial topics that have been put on the backburner. I have about 16 months left in residency and I plan on returning to my home state. A few questions:

    1) Can I maintain my address back in my home state (it is my parent's address) just as we have been doing as I have less than 1.5 years left? I know many college students live out of state and keep their home addresses, but does this apply to my situation (and residency in general I suppose)?
    2) If I am forced to switch over my insurance to the new state (which I'm hoping to avoid), am I mandated to switch over my driver's license as well as my license plates? Or can I just switch the insurance over and save the hassle with license/plates?
    3) Are there timeframes for each of these if I am forced to do it.
    4) What are the consequences if I do not switch over?

  • #2
    This is a state issue, a legal issue and, to an extent, a tax issue. I am not an attorney but, in general, your auto should be registered in the state where you are considered a resident (not a medical resident, but a legal resident). When you file your income tax returns, in what state do you file as resident? That is where you should register and insure your auto. I would be concerned that you might not be covered in the event of an accident but, then again, I am not an insurance agent, either.

    This should be fairly easy to resolve with a call to your current insurance agent and a call to the county court clerk where you reside. Laws vary from state to state. I know that, in our state (KY), you are required to register your car here and pay use taxes when you  move here.
    My passion is protecting clients and others from predatory and ignorant advisors 270-247-6087 for CPA clients (we are Flat Fee for both CPA & Fee-Only Financial Planning)
    Johanna Fox, CPA, CFP is affiliated with Wrenne Financial for financial planning clients


    • #3
      Yeah this varies according to the laws of the states, the laws of the localities, the lady behind the counter at the DMV, the officer that pulls you over...

      Regardless, you should let your insurance company know where you are living to avoid the possibility of a denial of coverage.


      • #4
        WCICON24 EarlyBird
        The state I moved to for residency required you to switch your drivers license, car registration, insurance 60 days after a permanent move.  Again you could get away with it but if you get pulled over you can get a ticket for it I believe...