Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

From whom did you get your disability insurance policy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pistolpete
    replied
    Mine is with Standard, and it's a true own occupation policy, covering me for $5000 per month right now as a resident, which I'll increase to the maximum amount I can once I graduate fellowship. I have the non-cancelable, future purchase option, COLA, residual disability riders with 2 year mental disorder limitation.

Leave a comment:

• climbhigh
    replied
    Went with Sean McDuffee at North Star (http://www.northstarfinancial.com/find_an_advisor/shaun-mcduffee).

Ended up getting two policies - one with Ameritas and one with Principal.

Leave a comment:

• ticker
    replied
    I used Michael Relvas and he really "went to bat" for me; he was wonderful.  Got shot down by Guardian and MetLife (due a remote misdiagnosis that the years since have clearly demonstrated I don't have), finally got a policy through Principal with an exclusion for aforementioned condition... that I don't have.

Leave a comment:

• childay
    replied
    Set for Life / Jamie Fleischner.  Great experience.

Mine is with Guardian, wife with Principal.

Leave a comment:

• pedsmd
    replied
    LBKCLU as well. Principal for me.

Leave a comment:

• Antares
    replied
    Thanks Scott - good to know!

Leave a comment:

• Scott at MD Financial Services
    replied
    That is a solid policy, keep it.....

Leave a comment:

• Antares
    replied
    I bought my own occ policy in 1994 with Paul Revere. I guess that's not a policy that's sold any more.

Leave a comment:

• canadianoutlaw
    replied
    +1 for @LBKCLU . Larry was fantastic when my wife and I got our policies as residents

Leave a comment:

• LBKCLU
    replied
    And, of course, discounts that may be available to you via your hospital affiliation or professional association memberships.

Leave a comment:

• Scott at MD Financial Services
    replied
    Depending upon the state you live in the carriers you can buy a true own occupation definition from are Standard, Principal, Guardian, Ameritas, Mass Mutual, and Ohio National.  Now some states, like CA, are more limited as not all of the ones mentioned here have the true own occupation definition avaiable for purchase in that/those state but most of us who handle a great deal of disability insurance every year knows what carriers and where to go for each unique individual.  Just keep in mind that the basic rates are determined on your gender, medical specialty, age, and state of residency....after that it comes down to your particular health status and which carrier might have an appetite for anything specific you might have going on.

Leave a comment:

• iglord
    replied
    My wife used Larry Keller and can both highly recommended. We made it a priority to get coverage in the second year of a four year residency. We have seen too many friends and coworkers are age run into situations in their late 20's/ early 30's where having the coverage would have been a big help in a crunch. She's also got a military commitment after residency, and its a lot easier to get coverage as a civilian resident instead of an active duty attending from what we understand.

Leave a comment:

• JoeCaponeCHFC
    replied
    Hi Joe. This is Joe.  :  )

Just getting into this forum. Good stuff.

Glad you were pleased. I try. Not perfect and definitely make mistakes but happy that you were able to post something positive.

Leave a comment:

• Joseph
    replied
    Use the company's policy.  Checked it out and spoke with Joe Capone who advertises on the WCI site.  He was very good and let me know the in's and out's of the policy in place.

Leave a comment:

• Vascular Doc
    replied
    My original policy is through Guardian.   I unfortunately was diagnosed with a chronic condition after getting my policy so when I went to increase my benefit amount upon becoming an attending, the new premium was through the roof.  I kept the original guardian policy and have a second policy through Ohio National with a top health rating.   I guess their underwriters had a better outlook on my condition.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X