Malpractice Coverage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Malpractice Coverage

I work for a large health system. I am in the process of getting all my insurances in order and one of the "check boxes" was to ensure I had adequate malpractice.

I am getting a complete run around - I was actually told I cannot get a copy of the policy unless I was leaving/left the health system and that everything I did was covered. Was looking for actual amounts etc.

is this normal to get this kind of answer? I never had a problem obtaining this info before from residency, prior moonlighting gigs, etc. Should I be worried??

That does not sound right.  I can get copies of my policy any time.  My carrier has this info online.  I work on a committee that looks at cases to help give input into whether to settle or defend.  I know the representatives of the company and malpractice defense lawyers in my area.  I negotiated a lower rate went I went to part time.  I say this because in Ob/Gyn this is an important issue because it is a litigious field and premiums are a major overhead item. I suspect your university self-insures and I don't know how that works.  It seems to me that you should know the amount you are insured for as an employee and info on any tail expense. I am under the impression that derm is fairly non-litigious but you never know.

Comment

I work for a large health system. I am in the process of getting all my insurances in order and one of the “check boxes” was to ensure I had adequate malpractice.

I am getting a complete run around – I was actually told I cannot get a copy of the policy unless I was leaving/left the health system and that everything I did was covered. Was looking for actual amounts etc.

is this normal to get this kind of answer? I never had a problem obtaining this info before from residency, prior moonlighting gigs, etc. Should I be worried??

I don't know about worried, maybe so. Irritated, definitely. Why would they not want to show you your policy unless there is a reason they do not want you to see it? Perhaps one of the insurance pro's can step in...

Try talking to someone else in HR - perhaps this person is not as informed. I would definitely not accept the answer that "everything" is covered unless you have it in writing by the legal department of your health system.
      Working to protect good doctors from bad advisors. Fox & Co CPAs, Fox & Co Wealth Mgmt. 270-247-6087

Comment

Working...
      X