AD&D?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AD&D?

Is it worth getting AD&D coverage with term life insurance plan if you are young and healthy? It's cheaper, about 50% as much per dollar of coverage, and it seems like statistically trauma would be the leading cause of death for another decade or two.

What is that? I know what the abbreviation is but how is that better than term life plus own-occ disibilty which most of us do? I can’t imagibe it being better.

Comment

Why does how you die affect how much life insurance you need? Is it just a morbid lotto ticket for the family?

Comment

term life plus own-occ disibilty

that.

unless, I suppose, you get a terminal cancer diagnosis and accidentally fall off the roof of a tall building?

btw advanced dungeons and dragons ... thanks for the fond memories!

Comment

AD&D insurance?

No need, I roll 20s!

Comment

Advanced Dungeons and Dragons?

Comment

Hmm perhaps it's not as common as I thought. It was an optional addition to the term insurance, Accidental Death and Dismemberment. Essentially would pay if you died in an accident but not of "natural causes". As leading cause of death 30-40s is trauma I thought it might be worthwhile for younger folks on top of the base normal term life, as it comes at a discount. Say get a 30 year 1 mil policy + a 20 year 1 mil policy, vs 30 yr 1 mil + 20 year 500k life with extra 500k ad&d, as a potential example.

Comment

The insurance actuaries know more than you, and I mean that respectfully. So if you die of cancer instead of getting shot, your heirs get less? I don’t believe In over complicating things, this sounds overly complicated.  Life insurance is meant to protect your family.  The amount you need doesn’t vary based on the method of your death.

Comment

AD&D insurance?

No need, I roll 20s!

LOL -- this was total click bait for me.  Was thinking --- oh man, gonna go dust off my Paladin and pull out my old painted figures and crystal dice

Comment

Most of you probably have AD&D tied to your group-sponsored Life Insurance plan. It's not really just for accidental (or spectacular) deaths. It'll pay out if you lose a finger, hand, arm, eye, hearing, paralysis etc as a result of an accident. Policies contain additional benefits if you die in a car accident but you were wearing your seat belt. Many have riders for comas, small amounts for child care, etc.

As you can imagine, this stuff is dirt cheap and doesn't get used often. On the order of a few pennies per $1,000.

Comment

Man we are a collection of nerds!

This is meant as a compliment. ?

Comment

Is it worth getting AD&D coverage with term life insurance plan if you are young and healthy? It’s cheaper, about 50% as much per dollar of coverage, and it seems like statistically trauma would be the leading cause of death for another decade or two.

FWIW, my credit card offers like $500k of coverage if something goes off the rails on a covered trip (death, dismemberment, etc).  I don't know how hard it is to get reimbursed.  Something to consider.

Comment

No, I wouldn't recommend you pay extra to get it.
                          Our passion is protecting clients and others from predatory and ignorant advisors. Fox & Co CPAs, Fox & Co Wealth Mgmt. 270-247-6087

Comment

Is it worth getting AD&D coverage with term life insurance plan if you are young and healthy? It’s cheaper, about 50% as much per dollar of coverage, and it seems like statistically trauma would be the leading cause of death for another decade or two.

If you are really considering it, ask for a copy of the policy so you can read the terms of 'how you have to die', those things are kind of fascinating because you have to die 'on time' within certain measures.  An example would be, dead on scene in massive car crash, prefect, policy pays.  Die 6 months later from complications due to that massive car crash, maybe not.
                            Scott Nelson-Archer, CLU, ChFC
                            281-770-8080 Direct / [email protected]

Comment

gonna go dust off my Paladin

A Pally; really.  Ranger all the way here.

IMO this type of insurance must be hugely profitable to insurance companies because I get an offer about once a month to get this insurance.  Get the insurance you need for your family versus a small set of specific ways to die and potentially 'double' the insurance payout.AD&D is the purest form of gambling that people and insurance companies undertake.

Comment

Working...
                              X