Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Match Day ! Terrible or Great Experience?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Match Day ! Terrible or Great Experience?

Cheers, jeers or tears.
    What was your initial reaction and how far down your list?
    How did your residency turnout compared to expectations?

oh yea it was match day...

Comment

Overall, it was a great experience. At the time, I was still uncertain and scared but that's because I had ranked to pretty much end up out of state which would be a new experience. My wife and I currently live where I did residency and I love it.

Comment

I remember it being a good time. It was rather low stress for us matching into non competitive residencies.

Comment

I failed to match not once but twice.

Partly because of that, I've met a number of other people who also failed to match, many of whom were totally decent and capable. They just had bad luck. Most (including myself) eventually landed on their feet. But overall, it was emotionally devastating and I wouldn't wish that experience on anybody.

The process works for most, but leaves many out in the cold with little recourse and certainly no guidance. Unfortunately, this number is probably growing every year.

Comment

@Allixi,
            Congratulations on your determination.
            http://www.nrmp.org/main-residency-match-data/

20% of total applicants didn’t match this year.

Comment

It was fun as a parent. Daughter matched her #1 choice and we went out and got hammered at Kollege Klub and Lucille’s. Was an expensive night.

Comment

I was scared to death. I applied to 2 specialties and knew I matched, but had no idea if it was into my desired field or my backup. I only had 2 ranks for my desired field lol. Matched my #2 spot. My wife and I were overcome with emotion. Lots of tears of joy.

Comment

Exciting day, matched 2nd choice (1 and 2 were nearly tied on my rank list) but at a program I thought I had no chance at.  My hard work had finally paid off. Residency was great (in hindsight) and met all my expectations, very glad I matched there.

Comment

Good for me. Matched # 1 at the place that I thought was going to be my # 1 before I even applied.

But I remember it feeling hard to celebrate because so many people didn't get what they wanted.
                    Helping those who wear the white coat get a fair shake on Wall Street since 2011

Comment

I felt pretty confident but not 100% sure I’d end up at my top path place. It was funny how it worked out. I called for an interview because of scheduling conflicts, they fit me in, then I loved the place. Wasn’t too far from the SO (home program really took a nosedive opportunity wise), and I ended up with some great training and connections.

Yeah it was tough seeing some good friends not get their spot and do a prelim in something they hated, especially when we had a few not so competitive folks end up in super competitive fields . I always disliked the having to still do a prelim even if you don’t get the specialty you wanted.

Comment

20% of total applicants didn’t match this year.

heavily skewed by non US MDs.

Comment

heavily skewed by non US MDs.

When I looked at the summary page, I decided that my eyes were deceiving me. Best to let the someone like Ped's actually look at it. Geeezzz.

Comment

Loved it. A group of us held our slips until we all got them and opened together. Nearly all of us got our first choice and a gleeful moment for the entire clan.

Went to my first choice back to UofM and was tickled pink. No regrets. Thought it was a fun class activity where the last person got the kiddie of about 150$ to blow.

Wouldn't want to do it again though. Still think it's crazy that we don't his, but prematch days people committed after first year med school!

Comment

One of the happiest days of my life

#2 on my ROL but it turned out to be a huge blessing as the #1 program on my list wasn’t interested in training residents with my eventual career goals

Enjoyed residency

Comment

Working...
                              X