No announcement yet.

Regretting medicine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think the drawback is having to live in certain areas. The numbers I quoted are for a 36 hour week for a nurse and a 40 hour week with some call for a tech. No nights for the nurse.

That would be really high and mostly be located to a regional area within the highest paying state. Not exactly something anyone can achieve. People never leave those jobs. Very rare to find work without call/nights/weekends even as a nurse in california.

You're really burned out and generally unhappy. I know you have all these things that tie you to your location, but nothing is going to change otherwise. You have to make a choice. Stay and be unhappy, or do what you need to for you. Its up to you.

Comment

I'm just saying...150k starting in your early twenties with 99% job security is a good gig, and with seniority come no nights and fewer weekends as a nurse. Not to mention the pension.

Comment

The numbers aren’t right across the board/across the nation. If you can find me an easy job in a LCOL that starts at 150k for an 18yo, let me know. I’ll sign up mu friend’s kids and my kids when they’re old enough.

Comment

I’m just saying…150k starting in your early twenties with 99% job security is a good gig, and with seniority come no nights and fewer weekends as a nurse. Not to mention the pension.

Again. Its not starting. Definitely not all locations, and very very few places or positions offer no nights/weekends. If they do pay is considerably lower or there are limited to no benefits. Only a few select places have pension.

Youre extrapolating the 0.1% case and acting as if it is the normal every day job that anyone can find. Its absolutely not.

My wife is a nurse, we live in california, I know tons of nurses and we employ many. This just isnt true. In the few places it can be, the cost of living is going to eat into most of that money anyway so its on net not much different.

Comment

Nurses make about half of that around me.

Comment

Nurses make about half of that around me.

California is the only state I know with such a huge discrepancy in pay. Obviously comes with hcol in general and taxes.

Comment

To answer the question of the OP, a lot of physicians have some level of regret going into medicine, and this is reflected in the low percentage of docs who recommend a medical career for their children.

I am not sure where in the career arc the OP is, but I can see a resident working like a dog and looking around at friends in their 20’s crushing it and feeling bad, in comparison.

The medical career will have its ups and downs, and the OP may be in a valley. We have all been there. I personally am glad that I went into medicine, but I might have structured the career differently if I could have a do-over.

Comment

@snowcanyon,
                  Please take your frustrations out on me. I never took call, worked weekends or nights. Of course I am not a physician so what would I know? You mentioned a career path for an 18 yr old to invest in and basically be assured of $150k with a 36 hr week.
                  Trying to figure out that career path. MGMA data doesn’t really support that. Yes, it can happen. Most likely a bachelors and masters in nursing with all the letters after the name that happened into a great fit and need. I would venture a guess even at 35 that job is still a pipe dream. If you know of those jobs, people will pay you for placement. Not very many openings I am sure.
                  Sooo.....$150k is pretty much the peak depending on training, specialty and finding the right spot for nursing.
                  What can a physician make again? Just a tad bit more.

Comment

1. It's definitely pretty much only CA, although I know NPs making $150 an HOUR in Seattle. No, they aren't CRNAs.

2. Not sure where Zaphod works, but it's specifically the Northern California union contract.

3. It's not just HCOL areas- sure, it's justified by the COL in SF, but nurses earn the same in Sacramento and Modesto as in SF, and no one is going to characterize Modesto or Manteca as a HCOL area.

4. $120k a year is the starting salary at several hospitals in Northern California, including Kaiser, which does have a robust pension plan.

5. Nurses also get time and a half for shifts longer than eight hours.

I still think it's a better deal if you want to live in those areas. Not a great deal if you wan to live in Louisiana.

Comment

gosh all these folks obsessing over who's making what blah blah, RNs making this or that. who really cares, doesn't matter. do you want to be a floor RN, LOL didn't think so.

Comment

1. It’s definitely pretty much only CA, although I know NPs making $150 an HOUR in Seattle. No, they aren’t CRNAs.

2. Not sure where Zaphod works, but it’s specifically the Northern California union contract.

3. It’s not just HCOL areas- sure, it’s justified by the COL in SF, but nurses earn the same in Sacramento and Modesto as in SF, and no one is going to characterize Modesto or Manteca as a HCOL area.

4. $120k a year is the starting salary at several hospitals in Northern California, including Kaiser, which does have a robust pension plan.

5. Nurses also get time and a half for shifts longer than eight hours.

I still think it’s a better deal if you want to live in those areas. Not a great deal if you wan to live in Louisiana.

Yes and those jobs are hard to get, everyone knows about them. Modesto and Sacromento may not be california expensive but they are by no means cheap, and modesto/manteca is not a place someone wants to live either. Theres basically nothing there, and it certainly isnt cheap. Most people would still consider those HCOL areas, and definitely not desirable.

We have offices from Newport to Stockton.

Comment

Anyone else tired of medicine and wishing they went into something else? Perhaps it’s because I live in the Bay Area and all my friends are making 400-500k a year at the same age or younger in the tech industry. Lately I’ve been feeling emotionally tired, upset, and just generally disgruntled.

You might be getting burnt out or depressed.

Or it could be just comparing yourself to tech workers. High valuations will appear to degrade all other worthwhile work, it is part of FOMO. When I was an intern, in 1999, I remember having lunch with the resident and consultant that I worked for and we were all complaining about how our pays were so low compared to tech workers. Why didn't we quit medicine and do some BS IPO ? During the mid 2000's mining boom, the interns in mining related cities were complaining about why did I do years of medicine when I could have just become a fly in fly out mining driver straight out of school and make 200k/year.

Or you may have been pressured by your parents to do medicine and wonder whether you really want to do it.

Or you may just need a holiday

Or you may have a tendency to negative thinking

Or a lot of things. Seek answers and support. Maybe consider seeking some counselling. To me, medicine is still an awesome career, but internship (and for some people residency) will be the most difficult period. Personally, I think the environment in some training institutions is somewhat dysfunctional, exploitative and traumatic for the interns and residents, but it's not forever !

Take care of yourself and don't make any hasty descisions. Good luck with it OP.

Comment

I would add that a bad job in medicine can really skew your perspective.  In my specialty, many of the popular/desirable areas are infiltrated by corporate employed skim jobs which leave you bitter.    They squeeze you, pay you just enough, and treat you like a farm animal.  You lose all your motivation other than to do enough just to keep your job.  Sad state of affairs.

Comment

Being a doctor is kind of like being in a cult. 20 years of schooling plus years of residency, 80 hour work with calls on weekend and holidays,  just hasn't led to the life I envisioned. I hit a low point when a classmate who wasn't accepted into medical school, and went into Biotech as a finance guy got $5M in stock options last year. I got burned out this past year when I couldn't change my work environment and still in recovery phase.

Becoming FI can't come fast enough for me.

Comment

Being a doctor is kind of like being in a cult. 20 years of schooling plus years of residency, 80 hour work with calls on weekend and holidays,  just hasn’t led to the life I envisioned. I hit a low point when a classmate who wasn’t accepted into medical school, and went into Biotech as a finance guy got $5M in stock options last year. I got burned out this past year when I couldn’t change my work environment and still in recovery phase.

Becoming FI can’t come fast enough for me.

you guys are all looking at exception cases and acting like its the norm

earlier this month we had a post about a guy who founded a device company and was making 2.5 mil a year after previously making 300k as a doctor. again, also an exception but not exclusive to silicon valley or biotech.

and those stock options probably have a valuation of 5 million which is much different than 5 million on hand and they often come with extensive stipulations about selling them and etc.

don't know many attendings who work 80 hour weeks or people who have frequent weekend or holliday call unless they're a surgeon and making $$$. why dont you look at how to alter your own practice to have a better lifestyle instead of looking at other peoples?

Comment

Working...
                                X