Password manager

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Password manager

On my “to do” list is to look into a password manager to beef up security for my financial accounts, given the multitude of hacks that have occurred in the past couple years, and having passwords for sale on the dark web. Do any if you use a password manager? If so, which one? Would getting one prevent aggregating tools like PC or mint from working effectively? Thanks!

LastPass. I don’t use mint or PC

Comment

We use Dashlane for our office and I have been using it for 2 or 3 years and have been very happy with it.
      Our passion is protecting clients and others from predatory and ignorant advisors. Fox & Co CPAs, Fox & Co Wealth Mgmt. 270-247-6087

Comment

On my “to do” list is to look into a password manager to beef up security for my financial accounts, given the multitude of hacks that have occurred in the past couple years, and having passwords for sale on the dark web. Do any if you use a password manager? If so, which one? Would getting one prevent aggregating tools like PC or mint from working effectively? Thanks!

lastpass as well. always choose the max length allowed as that is far more important than what you write.

always opt for 2FA if possible.

no does not interfere with those sites because you give them the password. doesnt matter if it is "1234" or "([email protected]#% BNLKSVJNLIW#%)[email protected]%"....you give it to them (which is a whole other convo).

Comment

Dashlane for two years then changed over to Lastpass last year.   Lastpass is a bit more robust and easy to remote authorize with the aging parents who keep forgetting their passwords

We set 2FA defaults, approvals, notifications to OUR phones for the parents too.  All this needed as they age and higher susceptibility to phishing.

Comment

I used Bruce Schneier's Password Safe for many years.  Recently switched to 1Password because it allows passwords to be shared with my spouse.  That way if I get hit by a bus she'll still have access to all of our accounts.  We use the family plan for $60 per year.

Comment

I use 1Password as well. Have been extremely satisfied.

Comment

I use little strips of paper with clues on them hidden around the house. Whenever I can't remember a password, it turns into a fun game.

Comment

Dashlane free. Might upgrade to premium for $5 per month. It works pretty well.

Comment

1Password (especially if you are an apple/mac user). Worth every penny and then more. Can't recommend them enough. Have over 400 items in there currently.

Comment

Lastpass. Premium. I dont know any of my passwords. I choose max length for whatever website.

It's integrated on my cell, laptops and I cam share all the passwords with my wife.

Along with 2 step authentication, I feel my accounts are nearly 99% secure.

Comment

Nopassword1

This should be used on all of your accounts.
                        One postit note on the refrigerator eliminates the hunt.
                        On the back, write the website for each account.
                        Use your email for username too.

I ditched the house thing when my wife cleaned under the vase on the mantel and thought it was trash. Use a magnet on the refrigerator.

Comment

I've never used one of these programs before.  would this work for logging onto my chrome laptop?  I have to use my gmail password to login so having that super long and hard to memorize might be problematic...

also, anyone have concerns about having passwords in the cloud?  I was looking at keepass since that file is kept locally

Comment

I’ve never used one of these programs before.  would this work for logging onto my chrome laptop?  I have to use my gmail password to login so having that super long and hard to memorize might be problematic…

also, anyone have concerns about having passwords in the cloud?  I was looking at keepass since that file is kept locally

So I took the plunge and got lastpass.  the only downside is there wasn't an easy way to import passwords from my browser (only did this for sites without financial data).  I'm paranoid that I'll lose these complex passwords in the cloud so I made a local copy in Keepass as well.

Also, got this idea from bogleheads...  For financial institutions I have lastpass save half of a long random password and I add an additional password afterwards.  This way my important passwords aren't in the cloud and I still have strong passwords

I didn't find a solution for my gmail password... maybe using something like google authenticator would help with that.

Comment

I’d like to make the transition to simplify for my wife (she says she can’t read my cheatsheet notes), but I have shied away from the effort of implementation. For those of you that use the aggregators, is this a 1 hour transition, 1 day, worse?

Comment

Working...
                              X