Best Bike Rack for car?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Bike Rack for car?

I'm looking to get into biking a little more with my family and was interested in getting a bike rack. I have a 2016 Honda CRV and will be getting a hitch for it in the coming months. I was looking for something that is easy to use, stores 2-4 bikes, is very secure. I've heard good things about Thule but wasn't sure about other brands or even specific Thule models. Price is less of a concern as long as it meets some of the other criteria. Any favorites?

We love our Thule. Holds 4 large bikes. Expensive but it pays for itself and is super easy to use. You won't regret it if you go that route.

Comment

Look into a bike rack from a company called 1up USA.

Comment

We love our Thule. Holds 4 large bikes. Expensive but it pays for itself and is super easy to use. You won’t regret it if you go that route.

Did your car come with the hitch? Or did you have it installed?

Comment

Price is less of a concern as long as it meets some of the other criteria. Any favorites?

Do you drive into parking garages? Do you back up into things?

We prefer the hitch option, rather than having the bicycles on the roof. We have one that folds down so the back door can open, but there are some that hinge off of the hitch, to the side of the car, which can be nice if you open the back of the car often (for a dog, etc).

Comment

I have the Thule T2 Pro X2 for my hitch.  It is great for mountain bikes, even fat bikes.  And it easily folds up out of the way on the back of your vehicle, and can be installed and removed.  I hang mine on the wall in my garage when not needed.

Comment

Here's a link to a good site for reviews of hitch racks.

https://www.gearweare.com/review/best-hitch-bike-rack/

Comment

Kuat all day long. Expensive as ************************ but it's so tough that I suspect my grandkids might inherit the thing if it'll fit on their flying cars. I have some expensive bikes, mountain bikes, kids bikes and a few others, and the great thing is the rack attaches to the wheels/tires, so I don't worry about paint getting scratched or the bikes swinging into each other or the car.

Comment

Did your car come with the hitch? Or did you have it installed?

I installed it myself. Very simple and took less than an hour.

Google 'Hidden Hitch' - They have hitches for most vehicles. If you know how to use a drill and a ratchet, you can install it yourself. It's come in very handy many times.

Comment

Agree with Kuat. It’s easy for me to put on/off myself. Our model is for 2 bikes, but we plan on adding the 2 bike extension when the kids get older.

Comment

Which Kuat model?

Kuat Trio Rack

This one I can't seem to find what it would look like with a bike on it... seems almost too minimalistic.

Kuat Racks NV 2.0 Bike Rack

Kuat Racks Sherpa 2.0 -2 Bike Rack

Thanks!

Comment

We have the kuat nv. We also have the 4 bike add on, but the hitch gets so heavy that my wife can barely move it and I don't like to install it, so we leave it in the 2 bike set up and only add the other parts for road trips with bikes in my wife's car.

Comment

Looking into the 1up... says it is 46 pounds, does it seem too cumbersome to put it on the hitch?

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                          X