X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anyone here in the cattle busines

we are thinking about trying it.

we would be big cattle, no hat.  ????

As an investor or getting in the muck and a hands on approach?

If the latter, I won't do that since I want to enjoy life without added responsibilities.

Comment

I have a small ~5% allocation to COW. The rest is in a three fund portfolio. :P

Comment

I have clients who own tons of cattle but I have very little idea how the business really works.   Hell I think some of my clients don't understand either.  :lol:

It's a ton of work unless you can hire the right people.  I would seek to become an expert before investing money of my own.

Comment

I have a small ~5% allocation to COW. The rest is in a three fund portfolio. ????

One of my buddies raised a single cow for slaughter and seemed to get a lot out of that on multiple levels.

Watching my farming grandparents has created in me an approach similar to Donnie--farmland/timber REITs are plenty for me!

Comment

I need a write off business!

Comment

I was in the cattle business.  It is vey easy to lose money if that is what you are looking for.  The interest was my ex-husbands.  Lots of work too.

Comment

I was in the cattle business.  It is vey easy to lose money if that is what you are looking for.  The interest was my ex-husbands.  Lots of work too.

no, I want a sure thing.  what could be surer than a cow?

you are surely the most fascinating person.

Comment

Cows need food, water, and shots.  You provide grass (pasture land) and hay in the winter.  You need a large animal vet who will come out and give shots.  You need ear tags.  You need to rotate the cows to different pastures.  You have to try to prevent incest.  The price of beef is beyond your control.  Did you grow up on a farm or just start watching the Angus report like my ex?

Comment

Cows need food, water, and shots.  You provide grass (pasture land) and hay in the winter.  You need a large animal vet who will come out and give shots.  You need ear tags.  You need to rotate the cows to different pastures.  You have to try to prevent incest.  The price of beef is beyond your control.  Did you grow up on a farm or just start watching the Angus report like my ex?

I did not grow up on a farm and have little background knowledge.

the opportunity arose because my neighbors farm and they can provide all the labor and the land and the experience.  I think we are not looking for much hay in winter.  apparently you buy them in april and sell to butcher in October.  no bulls.  just restock the next year.  apparently they can use the manure on the farm part to help defray some farm expenses.  definitely very narrow margins, but they don't mind working for what to me seems a small amount of money.  it's more of a hobby for me and a chance to feel somewhat entrepreneurial.   perhaps I can eat the beef, farm to table.  I'm just partnering on the cow part potentially and some vet bills.

and hopefully get some write offs.  I'm all jealous of you guys who get to write off all kinds of stuff 

Comment

the opportunity arose because my neighbors farm and they can provide all the labor and the land and the experience.  I think we are not looking for much hay in winter.  apparently you buy them in april and sell to butcher in October.  no bulls.  just restock the next year.  apparently they can use the manure on the farm part to help defray some farm expenses.  definitely very narrow margins, but they don’t mind working for what to me seems a small amount of money.  it’s more of a hobby for me and a chance to feel somewhat entrepreneurial.   perhaps I can eat the beef, farm to table.  I’m just partnering on the cow part potentially and some vet bills.

Why do your neighbors need you then if they are doing all the work? (just asking.....)

My FIL ran a farm with Veal and Beef. Neighbors wanted to get into it, so they raised some cows to sell......except when it came time to sell them they couldn't do it. The animals had become family pets. Don't get attached to them. Enjoy the yummy meat.

Comment

Yes easy to get attached.  Avoid hand feeding in this situation.

Comment

If I were you, I'd just buy a half beef from the local butcher and call it even. I've never understood people who spend money (spend $1 to save $0.50) to try to get write-offs if that's what you're looking for. Farming isn't really that great of a living unless you can really scale it (still terribly hard work and it seems most money is made with mineral rights) and it is an awful, awful hobby.

Comment

the opportunity arose because my neighbors farm and they can provide all the labor and the land and the experience.  I think we are not looking for much hay in winter.  apparently you buy them in april and sell to butcher in October.  no bulls.  just restock the next year.  apparently they can use the manure on the farm part to help defray some farm expenses.  definitely very narrow margins, but they don’t mind working for what to me seems a small amount of money.  it’s more of a hobby for me and a chance to feel somewhat entrepreneurial.   perhaps I can eat the beef, farm to table.  I’m just partnering on the cow part potentially and some vet bills.

Why do your neighbors need you then if they are doing all the work? (just asking…..)

My FIL ran a farm with Veal and Beef. Neighbors wanted to get into it, so they raised some cows to sell……except when it came time to sell them they couldn’t do it. The animals had become family pets. Don’t get attached to them. Enjoy the yummy meat.

they need money to buy the amount of cows they need.  they need a certain amount to generate the manure so they can save on fertilizer.   they have a big space for it that is going unused, and I think they need a certain amount to get a deal on the feed and the butcher etc.    I'm never going to see the cows.

I see all these posts here from people who want side hustles.  this is a side hustle.  can't I have a separate 401k or something?

Comment

Why do your neighbors need you then if they are doing all the work? (just asking…..)

My FIL ran a farm with Veal and Beef. Neighbors wanted to get into it, so they raised some cows to sell……except when it came time to sell them they couldn’t do it. The animals had become family pets. Don’t get attached to them. Enjoy the yummy meat.
                              Click to expand…

they need money to buy the amount of cows they need.  they need a certain amount to generate the manure so they can save on fertilizer.   they have a big space for it that is going unused, and I think they need a certain amount to get a deal on the feed and the butcher etc.    I’m never going to see the cows.

I see all these posts here from people who want side hustles.  this is a side hustle.  can’t I have a separate 401k or something?

Almost certainly cheaper all considered to just buy manure.

Comment

Working...
                              X