No announcement yet.

Is it stupid to wash a car?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have washed mine 2-3 times over the last 8 years, one of those times myself. I’ll never do that crap again. The battery in the key died last year, and so rather than compromise the back-up key I just use the key to open the door. The horror! I’m the only one who ever drives it or is in it, so it’s rare that I long for the days of old where a button push gets me in.
    Click to expand…

Bruh can’t you just replace the battery??

I just replaced four fob batteries a few weeks ago.  Easy peasy.

Yeah, order it on amazon for like a dollar and be done with it.

Comment

i even had to replace the whole key once.  you can save a lot of money on amazon.

Comment

It's less costly and more efficient to not replace the battery in my car. Now my wife's battery I replaced immediately because the stupid car doesn't open without a functioning battery. I'll put the added time and cost of twisting a key against the added time and cost of going through the nonsense to replace a battery-only key any day. And I'm the crazy one. Riiiight.

Bill Bryson was right - the more tech we have doesn't necessarily save us time or make our lives easier.

Comment

There is a battery store near me that will get the right one for your remote and put it in for you.

Comment

It’s less costly and more efficient to not replace the battery in my car. Now my wife’s battery I replaced immediately because the stupid car doesn’t open without a functioning battery. I’ll put the added time and cost of twisting a key against the added time and cost of going through the nonsense to replace a battery-only key any day. And I’m the crazy one. Riiiight.

Bill Bryson was right – the more tech we have doesn’t necessarily save us time or make our lives easier.

I agree with you, and I dragged my feet a few days on replacing my car battery the last time it went out.  But as a female who occasionally has to walk alone through dark parking lots/garages, the panic button on the key that will set off the car alarm makes the technology worthwhile.

Comment

But then you have to drive to the store and pay for it. Those are more costly than the added 1 second a day that it takes me to open my door twice.

Comment

But then you have to drive to the store and pay for it. Those are more costly than the added 1 second a day that it takes me to open my door twice.

my car doesnt start without the fancy fob, so I replace it when it gets low lest I get stranded. It doesnt take that long, search, click, get two days later, pop open and done. In 2 months you've got your 120s back.

Now otoh, electronic locks and fixtures for your house are idiotic and troublesome. Take something that works perfectly well as intended, make it more complicated and annoying, and make it work a whole lot worse while introducing serious security flaws. Then they call them "smart".

Comment

Count me as one of those that enjoy a clean car, much like how I enjoy clean shoes, clean home, etc.  I don't have a set schedule, just whenever I think it needs a cleaning.  I actually enjoy cleaning it myself and find it somewhat therapeutic.

Comment

I don't trust batteries on Amazon, too many counterfeits comingled with reals ones via fulfillment by amazon. One of the few things I go to the bricks and mortar store for.

Most cars have a fail-safe no battery start. If you put the key right up next to the start button, it has an RFID reader that doesn't depend on key battery.

Comment

I wish the question in the OP was posed in such a way that "stupid" was replaced with "necessary".

Comment

During the winter I wash my car to prevent undercarriage damage. Otherwise I could care less how dirty the outside is. For the inside I will vacuum and dust. I wish to drive my 2010 Carola with a 136k miles for as many years as I possibly can. I'd love to be one of those people who break the 20 years or 500k mile marker.

Comment

For those of you with clean cars.... are the kids hogtied in the trunk?

I know one family who never lets their 2 kids have anything to eat or drink in their cars. We opt for the dirty car and quiet kids .. I did invest in seat covers for the ones with car seats and nice floor mats. The original carpets look pretty good underneath still.
                          An alt-brown look at medicine, money, faith, & family
                          www.RogueDadMD.com

Comment

No, it’s not stupid.  It’s inconsequential. Washing your car will make absolutely zero difference in your life.  Do it or don’t do it and never think about it again.  Studies indicate that people can only make so many decisions a day before decision-making performance declines, don’t waste them on things like this.

This is like the Neil Armstrong quote ( that is attributed to him, true or not) - I never exercise because God gave only a finite amount of steps when we are born and I don't want to waste it stupidly jumping up and down and using up my quota quickly.

Comment

my car doesnt start without the fancy fob, so I replace it when it gets low lest I get stranded. It doesnt take that long, search, click, get two days later, pop open and done. In 2 months you’ve got your 120s back.

With Push button key Fobs, there is not place to insert the key physically and turn it on. If the battery dies it is it. The older push button car of mine has a small physical key in it that you can insert in the center to help start the car. The newer one doesn't.

The Acura my wife has does not even have a shifter to go from park to reverse or drive or neutral. It is all push button. And I have a sneaky feeling that this "drive by wire" will be prone to early malfunction and death and costly repairs.

Comment

No, it’s not stupid.  It’s inconsequential. Washing your car will make absolutely zero difference in your life.  Do it or don’t do it and never think about it again.  Studies indicate that people can only make so many decisions a day before decision-making performance declines, don’t waste them on things like this.
                                Click to expand…

This is like the Neil Armstrong quote ( that is attributed to him, true or not) – I never exercise because God gave only a finite amount of steps when we are born and I don’t want to waste it stupidly jumping up and down and using up my quota quickly.

I think that’s Trump’s theory.  And no, it’s not like that at all.  Check out the Wikipedia page if you want to learn about it.

Comment

Working...
                                X