No announcement yet.

Is it stupid to wash a car?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sit outside with a blowdryer trying to defrost the keyhole for your car in the morning.

I know this is a generally frugal group we've got here, but does anyone actually drive a car which requires inserting a key in the door to open it?

Comment

sit outside with a blowdryer trying to defrost the keyhole for your car in the morning. 
      Click to expand…

I know this is a generally frugal group we’ve got here, but does anyone actually drive a car which requires inserting a key in the door to open it?

no, and it is always weird when you get a rental and act as if you've never used a key before.

Comment

I like to keep my cars clean on the outside and inside for the simple reason that they feel newer. If they feel newer I am less likely to want to replace them. People are often shocked when I tell them how old my vehicles are because they essentially always look nearly new. I swear that some people replace their cars every few years just because they are dirty.

Comment

I like to keep my cars clean on the outside and inside for the simple reason that they feel newer. If they feel newer I am less likely to want to replace them. People are often shocked when I tell them how old my vehicles are because they essentially always look nearly new. I swear that some people replace their cars every few years just because they are dirty.

I feel very similar. I have an 09 XC90 that when clean looks amazing, and definitely curbs the itch to look at new cars. As far as time goes, we have a nice car-wash by our house, the line is always 10-20 cars deep for two lanes. I once timed my wash, it took either 6 or 8 minutes. I have a hard time sitting still, if there are more than 2-3 cars in line I would skip a wash no matter how dirty my car was, I always chuckle at the 1 hour long line and wonder who would wait, apparently a lot of people!

I did recently buy a monthly unlimited card at a wash by my office, I can run through at lunch and waste no productive time, it is especially nice in the winter.

Comment

Click to expand…

I know this is a generally frugal group we’ve got here, but does anyone actually drive a car which requires inserting a key in the door to open it?

:cry: hand raised...

Comment

Click to expand…

Click to expand…

???? hand raised…

Dear lord the squalor!  Talk about cringeworthy.  :lol:

I feel like having to put a key in the ignition is horrible enough.  Or having to push a button on a keyfod to unlock your door.  Eeesh, quel horreur.  Just the thought.   

Comment

I grew up washing cars in the driveway as a weekend activity. My father still does this. I could care less how clean it looks. After the winter I usually drive through the car wash to clean off any salt. If we have a really bad storm with lots of salt thrown down, I may do it during the winter as well.

Comment

Click to expand…

Click to expand…

???? hand raised…
                  Click to expand…

Dear lord the squalor!  Talk about cringeworthy.  ????

I feel like having to put a key in the ignition is horrible enough.  Or having to push a button on a keyfod to unlock your door.  Eeesh, quel horreur.  Just the thought.   ????

Hahahaha...we also have an older minivan that doesn't have the automatic opening sliding doors and every time we go pick up the kids friends they just stand there and stare at the door like they are trying to open it with some sort of jedi mind trick.

Comment

I am the outlier - I even pay $20 a month for unlimited washes.  My car is 9 years old and red.  Living in NE Ohio it is constantly covered in salt or dirt.  The biggest reason I wash it in the winter so much is because I always seem to brush up against my car getting in or out.  And if it is not clean I am covered in salt.

Comment

Click to expand…

Yes, but my chauffeur does it for me

Comment

No, it's not stupid.  It's inconsequential. Washing your car will make absolutely zero difference in your life.  Do it or don't do it and never think about it again.  Studies indicate that people can only make so many decisions a day before decision-making performance declines, don't waste them on things like this.

Comment

i wash mine because it sits outside and gets covered with leaves, squirrel poop, and bugs and that damages the paint over time. I only go on Tuesdays or after 6pm to a place for $3.00. you get your money back if it rains and the have free ice cream cones.  I spend $3.00/day on my starbucks so $3.00/month to wash my car doesn't seem stupid to me. I definitely would wash if in weather with salt/sand.

This to me falls under the same arguments as do i need to wash my hair every day (I could save on shampoo if I didn't!), get a hair cut every month, how often should I wash my bedding on the bed, etc....some of it is just preference, some of it the impact on the environment (washing cars, etc is water use, soap run off, detergent impacts, etc).

Comment

I have washed mine 2-3 times over the last 8 years, one of those times myself. I'll never do that crap again. The battery in the key died last year, and so rather than compromise the back-up key I just use the key to open the door. The horror! I'm the only one who ever drives it or is in it, so it's rare that I long for the days of old where a button push gets me in.

Comment

I wash mine fairly frequently, every 7-10 days depending on the weather. I enjoy cleaning and I enjoy having a clean vehicle.

Comment

I have washed mine 2-3 times over the last 8 years, one of those times myself. I’ll never do that crap again. The battery in the key died last year, and so rather than compromise the back-up key I just use the key to open the door. The horror! I’m the only one who ever drives it or is in it, so it’s rare that I long for the days of old where a button push gets me in.

Bruh can't you just replace the battery??

I just replaced four fob batteries a few weeks ago.  Easy peasy.

Comment

Working...
                                X