Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you do when cannot agree with the CPA?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you do when cannot agree with the CPA?

i have to admit I was not interested in doing taxes myself. I only read about Backdoor Roth and how to fill the 8606 and it seems that I got it right, after checking here on the forum.

however, my CPA sent me 3 ways of filling this form and none of them looks like what I suggested, after I explained what I contributed and converted.

He spent the time to fill the rest of the forms but we keep going back and forth on this particular one. It is the first year I use his services, so we don’t really have a relationship.

if I were to change to somebody else, how do you retribute someone for partial work?

I assume we have to agree before filing, what if it doesn’t happen?

Your input would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Sounds like you need to have a conversation.  Maybe find a reputable source that backs up what you are advocating to do and give it to your new accountant in writing.  See how the accountant reacts.  If you two cannot get on the same page, then you need to find a new accountant.

Comment

is your return complicated?

i always think that 95% of intelligent professionals who don't own multiple businesses would be shocked by how easy Turbo Tax is to use.

if you're posting on this forum you'd probably find TT easy and somewhat fun.

as a high-income person i would NEVER retain the services of a CPA who wasn't intimately familiar with bdRIRA. In fact I would deploy it as a litmus test. If I had to explain a thing about it I would move on.

CPA w/ high income clients:back door Roth IRA::General surgeon:cholecystitis

Comment

i have to admit I was not interested in doing taxes myself. I only read about Backdoor Roth and how to fill the 8606 and it seems that I got it right, after checking here on the forum.

however, my CPA sent me 3 ways of filling this form and none of them looks like what I suggested, after I explained what I contributed and converted.

He spent the time to fill the rest of the forms but we keep going back and forth on this particular one. It is the first year I use his services, so we don’t really have a relationship.

if I were to change to somebody else, how do you retribute someone for partial work?

I assume we have to agree before filing, what if it doesn’t happen?

Your input would be appreciated.

Thanks.

I would hope they don’t charge you if they didn’t finish the return.  I agree with the other posters that if you are already completing the form 8606 by hand you could likely do it yourself within turbo tax.

Comment

Agree with White.Beard.Doc that you need to have a convo but just to say this isn't working out and what do I owe you? If the charge seems unfair, then dispute it and/or counteroffer. Honestly, we wouldn't bill you if you weren't happy, but that's a personal choice and varies widely from CPA firm to CPA firm. One thing for sure - if the CPA sent you 3 ways of filing the same form 8606, I would not be comfortable staying there. It's not as if you don't have other choices and the relationship so far appears to be a bit contentious.

WCI has a section for recommended Tax Strategists. The only firm that in on the list so far is ours but that's not my problem  .

Our passion is protecting clients and others from predatory and ignorant advisors. Fox & Co CPAs, Fox & Co Wealth Mgmt. 270-247-6087

Comment

is your return complicated?

i always think that 95% of intelligent professionals who don’t own multiple businesses would be shocked by how easy Turbo Tax is to use.

if you’re posting on this forum you’d probably find TT easy and somewhat fun.

as a high-income person i would NEVER retain the services of a CPA who wasn’t intimately familiar with bdRIRA. In fact I would deploy it as a litmus test. If I had to explain a thing about it I would move on.

CPA w/ high income clients:back door Roth IRA::General surgeon:cholecystitis

Other part of the test, how many 401ks can you have?

Comment

Other part of the test, how many 401ks can you have?

lol - is that the next test question to interview a CPA? Maybe I should re-write my blog article, these questions make a lot of sense.

Our passion is protecting clients and others from predatory and ignorant advisors. Fox & Co CPAs, Fox & Co Wealth Mgmt. 270-247-6087

Comment

Ha ha, I cannot do my taxes yet cause I don’t know the answer to this trick question.
                My taxes are probably not very complicated as it is a boring W2, some 401k I had no distribution from, a Backdoor Roth, a 529 and a taxable account.

I just did my homework on the Backdoor Roth, but the way things are going, I may keep reading.....

The problem is I already paid him and now I feel I cannot trust the work. He is not answering the emails. Hopefully he will answer the phone .....
                Too much trust....or stupidity on my part. I could just not believe that someone with listed 20 years of experience could not fill a form correctly.

Comment

I think it is fair for him to charge you and for you to pay him.  It probably shouldn't be the full amount, but as long as he did the work in good faith, I think he should receive compensation for his time.  While not a perfect analogy, you would probably be pretty irritated if a patient told you that he disagreed with your diagnosis, was going to get a second opinion, and wasn't going to pay you.

Comment

Ha ha, I cannot do my taxes yet cause I don’t know the answer to this trick question.
                    My taxes are probably not very complicated as it is a boring W2, some 401k I had no distribution from, a Backdoor Roth, a 529 and a taxable account.

I just did my homework on the Backdoor Roth, but the way things are going, I may keep reading…..

The problem is I already paid him and now I feel I cannot trust the work. He is not answering the emails. Hopefully he will answer the phone …..
                    Too much trust….or stupidity on my part. I could just not believe that someone with listed 20 years of experience could not fill a form correctly.

Go to the office and ask for all of your information back. The firm is required to return it (even if you had not already paid). If you do not have a completed tax return, you should get some kind of discount. You paid for a complete and accurate income tax return and you have not received one. It is poor etiquette not to answer emails, but also consider that he may be simply overwhelmed with tax season and just behind.

Comment

I think it is fair for him to charge you and for you to pay him.  It probably shouldn’t be the full amount, but as long as he did the work in good faith, I think he should receive compensation for his time.  While not a perfect analogy, you would probably be pretty irritated if a patient told you that he disagreed with your diagnosis, was going to get a second opinion, and wasn’t going to pay you.

i don't get paid all the time!  frequently they are happy with my work but just don't pay.

Comment

Well, I already paid, trusting that the work will get done.it didn’t even cross my mind not to pay him.

now I find myself late in the season with nothing done.

should I just let him file it his way, go somewhere else? By the way, Johanna, I cannot go to the office, he is in another state.

What if there are other mistakes, how painful would it be to have them corrected later? How does an audit work, can you expect to be audited for 2017 3 years later? I really don’t know which way to go.

Comment

If your return is fairly uncomplicated, I would have him go ahead and file and amend the 8606 later, if necessary (or just make sure it is correctly filled out before giving permission to e-file). When you make a change (you are going to do that, right?), the prospective CPA firm will review your return for possible errors, at which point you should ask specifically for special attention to be paid to the 8606. We review the prior return for no charge before agreeing to work with a new client and I'm sure many other firms do the same.

I think you should still call the office and express your displeasure - maybe right after tax season ends. As with any disagreement, you'll be taken more seriously if you are calm, reasonable, and state your case logically rather than getting emotional. If he has partners, ask for one of them instead and explain why you are unhappy and won't be returning. I am sure it will be brought up at the next partner's meeting, if not before.

I can assure you that there are plenty of taxpayers who consider not paying a bill or negotiating it down if they are not happy with the service and a good CPA firm will go the extra mile to make the client happy.

Comment

Back when I used an accountant, my highly-recommended CPA did both my back door roth and a roth conversion that I did -wrong.

It was the main reason why I do it myself now.

I wouldn't be surprised if more than half of CPAs couldn't do it correctly without looking it up.   Even after looking it up, the percentage who get it wrong is likely to be higher than one would expect.

EDIT:  Actually, now that I think about it I think I read an article somewhere on here by a Larson Financial Advisor who said a lot of his clients who had their taxes done by a CPA had the backdoor roth conversion done incorrectly.  I could be remembering it wrong though.

Comment

Working...
                            X