• Show
Clear All
  • The White Coat Investor
    Founder
    • May 2011

FAQ About the WCI Online Course

Frequently Asked Questions About The New WCI Online Course

Q. Who is the course for?

A. Fire Your Financial Advisor- A Step by Step Guide to Creating Your Own Financial Plan is designed for time-strapped doctors and other high-income professionals who need to become financially literate quickly with as little hassle as possible. If you already feel like you can write your own comprehensive financial plan, the course isn't for you. If you've read every single page of this blog and are looking for something more advanced, it probably isn't for you. If you're a financial advisor, it probably isn't for you (although several have taken it and enjoyed it.) But if you feel a little overwhelmed and want to get your financial education from a trustworthy source in a short time period and walk away with a real financial plan, this is perfect for you. You can also buy it for someone else as a gift or buy it so you and your spouse/partner can take it together.

Q. What's in the course?

A. The course is a 12 section course covering the most critical, high-yield financial topics that you need to know. The information is presented as videos and screencasts and includes worksheets and quizzes/tests with full explanations of each answer to help you feel confident you're mastering the material as you go. Each section also teaches you how to construct part of your written financial plan. It contains over 7 hours of video but together with the exercises and tests will likely take 8-9 hours to complete. You can do it together with your partner in any order and repeat any part of it at any time.

Sections include:

1. Introductory Materials and Pre-test

2. What You Need To Know About Financial Advisors

3. What You Need To Know About Insurance

4. Developing a Plan For Your Housing

5. Destroying Your Student Loans

6. How to Spend Money to Increase Current and Future Happiness

7. Creating Your Investing Plan- Setting SMART Goals That Matter to You

8. Creating Your Investing Plan- Understanding Your Investing Accounts

9. Creating Your Investing Plan- Asset Allocation and Implementation

10. Estate Planning

11. Asset Protection

12. Staying The Course and Final Exam

Q. How much does the course cost?

A. The course costs $499, a bargain compared to hiring a professional advisor to teach you this material.

Q. Can I get a discount? I'm a medical student or resident.

A. Yes! But everybody else does too. We think attending physicians should be able to buy stuff at the same price as every one else. No "doctor price" here. I know I made at least $499 worth of financial mistakes as an intern that taking this course would have prevented. So we're selling this course that you can use forever for less than what it costs for access to the Q Bank questions for the USMLE Step 1 for just one year. If that's too expensive, the blog, newsletter, podcast, Youtube channel, Financial Bootcamp and (if borrowed from the library) the book are still 100% free.

Q. How long do I have to complete the course?

A. This is the best part. Once you buy it, you own it indefinitely. You can take it all today. You can take it over the next week. You can spend all year doing it. You can take it three times. You can do it in reverse order. You can skip anything you don't feel you need. It's all yours for as long as The White Coat Investor exists.

Q. What if I don't like it?

A. I'm so confident you will view this course as one of the best investments you ever made that I'm offering a 7 day money-back guarantee, no questions asked. I promise not to be offended.

Q. Can I buy just part of the course?

A. Although there may be future WCI courses covering more limited subjects, we do not offer the modules a la carte at this time.

Q. Can I buy it as a gift for somebody else?

A. That's very kind of you. Email katie (at) whitecoatinvestor (dot) com, she'll send you an invoice you can pay with Paypal or any credit card and as soon as it is paid, she'll send you a code for one "free" course.

Q. I had some trouble paying for the course. What's going on?

A. A couple of people have had this issue. The recommendation from Teachable (that hosts the course) is to use a different card or Paypal. If you have this issue, please let us know. We'll get it resolved even if we have to send you an invoice ourselves and then send you a coupon for a "free" course.

Q. Can I share it with others? 

A. I appreciate your willingness to help those around you. However, it is a violation of the terms of service to share your log-in with others or to use the course for a public performance, such as to a medical school class or residency. Obviously it would be fine to work through it together with your spouse or partner in the privacy of your home at your own convenience. Contact us if you are interested in bulk purchase rates.

You can get more information and purchase the course here: Fire Your Financial Advisor
    Helping those who wear the white coat get a fair shake on Wall Street since 2011
  • actuaryonfire
    • Sep 2017

My review of the course has gone live! Check it out and let me know if you have any comments or found it useful. It  ended up at 3,000 words, so there was plenty to say...

Comment

Founder
      • May 2011

My review of the course has gone live! Check it out and let me know if you have any comments or found it useful. It  ended up at 3,000 words, so there was plenty to say…

Thanks for the kind words. I love the Actuary on Fire Course Suitability Quiz!
      Helping those who wear the white coat get a fair shake on Wall Street since 2011

Comment

• RogueDadMD
        Rogue Dad, MD
        • Mar 2016

Here is my review, including a discussion of when I fired my own financial advisor.

http://www.roguedadmd.com/2018/01/fire-your-financial-advisor-a-story-course-review/

Like Fox News, I consider my review fair and balanced.   
        An alt-brown look at medicine, money, faith, & family
        www.RogueDadMD.com

Comment

Founder
          • May 2011

Here is my review, including a discussion of when I fired my own financial advisor.

http://www.roguedadmd.com/2018/01/fire-your-financial-advisor-a-story-course-review/

Like Fox News, I consider my review fair and balanced. ????.

Now no one is going to buy the course when they find out I don't wear bow ties.

Comment

• The Physician Philosopher
            • Dec 2017

Following the leads from above, here is my review of the Fire Your Advisor Course!

[Link Fixed.]

Comment

• Chief Mom Officer
              • Apr 2017

Since folks are posting their reviews, I'll join on in. You can find my review of the course here, for those interested. Part of my review was to outline those I thought would benefit the most, and those that would probably not find it useful. Similar to AOF's idea, only he has a cool quiz and I did a list.

Comment

• PhysicianOnFIRE
                • Jan 2016

You may have heard that the course is on sale from now through the end of the weekend in honor of match day. Or March Madness. Or was it St. Patrick's Day?

Whatever you're celebrating, you can get my take on the course here .

Comment

• BenSk
                  • Mar 2018

I suggest you change the name of the course to something like "financial course for physicians" so that we can easy use our CME money to purchase without raising someone's eyebrows.

Comment

Founder
                    • May 2011

I suggest you change the name of the course to something like “financial course for physicians” so that we can easy use our CME money to purchase without raising someone’s eyebrows.

Interesting thought. Never intended it to qualify for CME, but obviously that doesn't keep people from paying for it with CME dollars!

Comment

• Molecularblonde
                      • Aug 2017

This course is worth every penny.

Jim does a fantastic job of distilling down the essential concepts that you need to know to understand both finance and investing. And he presents the data in both easy and manageable-sized pieces. The course is my bible. I’ve written down every word that Jim said. (You don’t have to do that though!) But the material was very new to me...all of it. Especially since I had never heard the words, “REITS” or  “TIPS” before or that I didn’t know that Roth wasn’t an acronym for anything.  I think I’ve come a long way!  I even tried to make the material more ....”fun” bysetting up my own Q and A exams complete with fill in the blanks and true and false questions. The podcasts were a way of my being able to test my knowledge from the class to see if I could really grasp the concepts without using my notes as references. Please don’t hesitate to enroll in the course. Don’t think that you’re too much of a novice. Or that you “won’t get it”. It may take time, but you’ll get there.

Thanks Jim for all that you do!

Question:

I’m almost ready to take the quiz after module Nine. (Nine has been a tough module for me so far, but I’m getting it! Yay!)

I have a few questions that I’d like to post back to my fellow classmates back in module eight. I’ve logged in, I can see my avatar, but after I post my questions it’ll say something like “waiting for a reply”. Then my question is gone.

Is this normal? It’s my first question that I’ve posted.

Comment

Founder
                        • May 2011

All the questions are held for moderation until I see them. Don't worry, they'll be posted at the same time as my reply to them. I think all of yours have now been answered.

Comment

Working...